Air Force vs. Army
March 13, 2010
The Game Story:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Army freshman attackman Garrett Thul scored four goals but it was Air Force taking an 8-7 overtime decision Saturday afternoon at Falcon Stadium.

The win was the first ever for the Falcons (1-3) over Army (1-4) in 17 all-time meetings and was the first time the two service academy rivals met outside of West Point, N.Y.

Sophomore Devon Lynch had two goals, while junior attackman Jeremy Boltus added a goal and two assists for Army.

Army got on the board first as Lynch took a pass from Boltus and scored from 12 yards out at 13:45. Air Force would score two unanswered to lead 2-1 after the first quarter. Junior midfielder Vinny Sandtorv scored at 11:08 while junior midfielder Zach Carroll tallied at 1:56 to give the Falcons the early edge.

Air Force made it a 3-1 lead on Sandtorv's second goal at 8:44. The two teams traded punches the rest of the quarter with no scoring until the final seconds of the half. Thul made a nice spin move to get open on the right side of the Air Force cage and scored on an eight-yard rip into the top right corner of the net with two seconds showing on the clock to pull the visitors within one, 3-2.

Air Force started the second half on a tear, scoring three unanswered goals, including two in a nine-second span, to lead 6-2 with 10:14 left in the quarter.

Thul would tally three straight goals to pull the Black Knights within one, 6-5, by the end of the third quarter. He started by taking a pass from Boltus and scoring from 18 yards away at 9:04, before slinging home his third tally of the day off a feed from senior midfielder Andrew Maisano from 12 yards out at 4:15. Thul's fourth goal came in transition off a pass from junior midfielder Rob McCallion with 1:17 on the clock.

Boltus opened the fourth quarter with a goal off a Maisano feed to tie the game, 6-6, with 12:33 on the clock.

Lynch gave Army a brief lead on a run from behind the Air Force cage, scoring from close range at 3:19, but a tally by Ridge Flick 50 seconds later knotted the score back up 7-7 with 2:29 on the clock.

Army took possession with under a minute to play. Seymour unleashed a hard shot that was saved by Brian Wilson giving the Falcons possession with 50 seconds to play. Air Force brought the ball back into the Army zone, but sophomore LSM Tim Henderson caused a turnover with 20 seconds to play giving the Black Knights the ball back. Following an Army timeout with 11 seconds on the clock, Boltus would get a solid shot off, but a save by Brian Wilson would preserve the tie and force overtime.

Army had possession for the first three minutes of the overtime period. With 3:10 on the clock, Lynch took a wide open shot from 10 yards in front of the Falcon goal that just sailed high of the cage. Thirty seconds later, Maisano took a shot from 15-yards out that Wilson made a another great save to preserve the tie score.

Air Force got its first possession of the extra period with under two minutes showing on the clock. The Falcons moved the ball around the Army cage before sophomore attackman Adam Paranka took a shot from 12 yards away on the left side of the crease that bounced passed junior goalkeeper Tom Palesky for the game winner.

Palesky and Wilson each finished with 11 saves. Army held a 43-29 advantage in shots and a 32-25 edge in ground balls. It was the second-straight overtime loss for the Black Knights after also falling by a 12-11 margin last Saturday at Cornell.