Albany vs. Dartmouth
April 24, 2007
The Game Story:
Albany, N.Y. – Frank Resetarits scored the game-winning goal with 6.5 seconds remaining, as UAlbany mounted an improbable comeback over the final two minutes for a 15-14 victory over Dartmouth on Tuesday, April 24 at John Fallon Field.

Dartmouth (4-8) reversed a 12-10 deficit in the final period with four unanswered in a six-minute-and-three- second span. Sophomore Brian Koch, who had five goals and two assists, netted back-to-back shots to tie the contest. Freshman attacker Ari Sussman, who totaled four goals and one assist, put his team ahead with when he scored in transition following a turnover. The Big Green, who nearly upset third-ranked Virginia last Saturday, then took a two-goal lead with 3:52 remaining, as midfielder Wilson Handler cut to the middle and finished off Koch’s feed into the left side of the cage.

UAlbany (12-1) closed the gap when Derek Dale picked up a ground ball and sent a pass to Resetarits in front of the cage. The Great Danes, who were coming off a 17-13 loss at Syracuse four days ago, then scored twice in the final minute to pull out the victory. Following a failed clear by the Big Green, UAlbany’s Jordan Levine fed Resetarits who sent a shot into the left side of the net to draw his team even at 14 apiece with 50.6 seconds to play. After Levine won the subsequent face-off, the scoring combination worked again. The junior midfielder reversed to his left and found Resetarits who again placed a shot to the left of goalkeeper Michael Novosel on the winning play.

“Derek Dale probably saved the game for us when he got that ground ball,” said Resetarits, who has scored four or more goals in six games this season for the nation’s sixth-ranked team. “Jordan (Levine) did all of the work on that last play. We knew we didn’t play well and were not getting to ground balls.”

In the third quarter, Sussman gave Dartmouth a 7-6 lead when he converted Koch’s crossing pass. But the Great Danes responded with three goals in a 38-second stretch. Senior attacker Merrick Thomson, who tied a season-best with five goals and added two assists, had a pair in that run, including an empty-net goal when the goalkeeper was stripped of the ball. Corey Small’s unassisted goal following a successful clear completed the outburst.

UAlbany pushed their margin to three goals with 1:59 left in the third period, when Thomson sent a blast from the right side inside the far post for his 38th of the season. But the Big Green sliced the deficit to 11-10 early in the final period. Doug Rendall beat the third-quarter horn when he drove in from the right side. Sussman scored from right of the crease off a pass from Nick Bonacci with 54 seconds elapsed in the final period.

“We ran an open play at the end,” said Levine, who left the game for nearly two quarters after suffering from dehydration. “Frank is one of the best finishers in college lacrosse and we just wanted to take advantage of his ability to score quickly. This is a huge win because we want to start the postseason on a high note.”

Resetarits finished with a career-high seven goals, including five in the final 18-plus minutes of play, and added one assist, while Small had two goals and two assists. Sophomore goalkeeper Dan McKeon, who made his first start as a collegian for the injured Brett Queener, made a career-high 13 saves. Dartmouth ’s Jonathan Livadas added two goals and one assist.

“It’s great when your best player steps up at the right time,” said UAlbany coach Scott Marr, who team dropped a 12-9 decision to Dartmouth one year ago. “It was a heckuva win after Friday’s disappointing loss at Syracuse . Things were not going our way and we played poorly at times, but we still found a way to win.”