Albany vs. Stony Brook
May 5, 2006
The Game Story:
Baltimore, Md. – Chris Martocchia scored with two minutes and fifty-five seconds remaining in overtime to lead UAlbany to a 14-13 victory over Stony Brook in the semifinal round of the America East Conference Tournament on Friday, May 5 at UMBC Sports Complex. The Great Danes, who advanced to their fifth consecutive conference championship game, will meet top seed UMBC, a 6-3 winner over Binghamton, in the final on Sunday, May 7 at 12 noon.

Stony Brook (8-7) rallied from a three-goal deficit on three occasions in the second half, including 12-9 early in the fourth quarter. Bo Trapodi, who had three goals and two assists, scored back-to-back goals, and made a behind the head shot off a loose ball in front of the cage with 4:12 left. Jason Cappadoro, who did all of his scoring the second half with two goals and three assists, then tied the contest at 12 apiece with a one-on-one move from the left side.

UAlbany (8-6) regained the lead when freshman attacker John Alpizar, who had two goals and two assists, moved in from the right side and converted a six-yard shot high into the net with 1:51 to play. However, the Seawolves would get the equalizer with five seconds left in regulation, when Cappadoro threw a lob pass over a two-man wall and Ryan Hughes rifled in his fourth goal of the game.

In the extra period, the Great Danes’ Jordan Levine gained possession on the face off. Alpizar would later work around the cage to Martocchia, who blasted the game-winning shot into the left corner.

"There was not much of an angle but I knew high to the stick side," said Martocchia, who scored twice in the game, including the 105th of his career. "It was a lot of fun out there tonight but I almost had a heart attack. They (Stony Brook) are a bunch of fighters."

Stony Brook came back from a 6-2 deficit with four unanswered goals over the final three minutes of the first half. Hughes, who scored a career-high total, connected on a 15-yard shot from the right side before Jim Astea won the following face off and converted a high shot six seconds later. Hughes drew his team even with 10 seconds remaining before the intermission on a blast inside the left post.

UAlbany led 3-2 late in the opening quarter and ripped off three straight goals to take a 6-2 lead early in the second. Freshman attack Corey Small scored twice in the stretch, including a goal over the goalkeeper’s left shoulder to end that run.

"This is a heated rivalry and both teams brought their games with them," offered UAlbany coach Scott Marr, whose team avenged a 13-11 loss during the regular season. "Chris (Martocchia) deserves a goal like that. He’s a senior and a captain and he’s asked to do a lot of things for us. We showed some composure and didn’t get rattled every time they came back at us."