Albany vs. Bryant
March 15, 2014
The Game Story:
LBANY, N.Y. In a back-and-forth battle throughout, #13/13 UAlbany was edged in a third one-goal game, in its first five contests this season, in a 12-11 defeat to #18/20 Bryant on Saturday. Neither team led by more than two goals at any point of the game. A late 3-0 run by Bryant (5-2) gave the visitors the lead over UAlbany (2-3) for good in the fourth quarter. Down 12-10 with under a minute left, Ty Thompson scored to pull UAlbany within one, but Bryant won the next faceoff and ran out the clock. The Bulldogs won 22-27 faceoffs led by Kevin Massa, who had 20 ground balls. They sat back in the zone, and we were not able to get back in a rhythm, said UAlbany head coach Scott Marr. Blaze [Riorden] played outstanding today, we just had a few breakdowns in communication. Lyle Thompson led UAlbany with seven points off five assists, while Miles Thompson had a trio of goals and assists for six points. John Maloney had two goals and a pair of ground balls. Despite the defeat, Blaze Riorden had 17 saves, allowing 11 goals in 53 minutes of play, adding a goal the other way. For Bryant, Collins Gantz had a hat trick of goals, while Tucker James had two goals, an assist and five ground balls, including the eventual game-winning goal. Gunnar Waldt got the win in goal with 14 saves. UAlbany scored the first two goals early, starting with a Miles Thompson unassisted goal about a minute-and-a-half in. Two minutes later, the Great Danes earned a man-up situation, seeing Riordan go in at attack and score from Lyle Thompson for a 2-0 lead. Bryant dominated time of possession and scored the final two goals of the quarter, with Cody ODonnell and Colin Dunster scoring in the quarters final five minutes to tie the score at 2-2. Following a quick Maloney score at 1:07 into the second, UAlbany led for the remainder of the quarter. At the 4:56 mark, Miles Thompson fed Will Stenberg for a streak and score to put the home team up two. Following a Gantz goal, three minutes later, Miles Thompson received the pass from Lyle Thompson and hit the score to put UAlbany back up two. On a stall warning, Alex Zomerfeld scored for Bryant with 15 seconds left, but UAlbany held the advantage 5-4 going into halftime. Ty Thompson scored for the first time in the game in the second halfs opening three minutes, getting the ball from Miles Thompson to send UAlbany back up by two. Bryant responded with a three-goal run in a span of just under three minutes on unassisted goals to take a 7-6 lead. Attacked by double teams, Lyle Thompson powered his way through the Bryant defense to score a pair of goals in a row, putting UAlbany back on top 8-7. After a Gantz goal for Bryant, Miles Thompson added another goal with 33 seconds left in the quarter, sending UAlbany into the fourth up 9-8. Bryant got another 3-0 run into the fourth, spanning the quarters first 10:27, to lead 11-9. Quickly off the faceoff, Miles Thompson found a charging Maloney, who shot and scored to make it 11-10 Bryant. UAlbany got a man-up situation, but Bryant stopped the Great Danes on defense and countered, scoring man-down with James to go up 12-10 with 3:46 left. Ty Thompson scored with 35 seconds, but the Great Danes were not able to get possession again in the game. UAlbany will hit the road next week to take on Penn State on Saturday, March 22nd at 1 p.m.