Army vs. Air Force
April 2, 2005
The Game Story:
WEST POINT, N.Y. - John Walker scored five goals and assisted on two others for the second straight game as No. 5 Army halted visiting Air Force, 12-8, in front of 1,108 drenched fans at rain-soaked Michie Stadium Saturday afternoon.

In a steady rain that did not relent until the middle of the third quarter, Army pushed its winning streak to seven straight games and remained undefeated all-time against its service-academy rival (12-0). The Black Knights are now 7-1 overall and off to their best start since 1984, while the Falcons fall to 3-4.

Army's seven-game win streak is the school's longest since 1971.

Adam Fullerton recorded a career-high 13 saves in the cage for Army, earning his fifth consecutive victory in the process and tying the Academy record for consecutive wins by a freshman goalie. Fullerton is also the first plebe netminder to win the first five starts of his career. Justin Pavoni made 14 saves in a losing effort for Air Force.

Army jumped out to a 7-1 lead by the 10:26 mark of the second quarter and seemed to have the game in hand. However, Air Force stormed back, scoring five unanswered goals spanning the two middle frames to make things interesting and draw within one, 7-6.

Coming out of the halftime break with a 7-3 advantage, Army let Air Force back into the game as the Falcons scored three times in the first 5:38 of the second half during their frenzied comeback.

Will Meister opened the second half with an unassisted tally at 11:37 and Conrad Lochocki then found the back of the net twice in a 32-second span to cut the Black Knights' lead to the slimmest of margins.

Fortunately, Army answered right back with an unassisted goal by Jim Wagner and another solo effort by defenseman Matt Luyster, while finishing off a clear. That bumped the home team's lead back to three entering the fourth quarter.

Chris Larsen then scored a man down three minutes into the final stanza and Army was comfortably ahead 10-6. Air Force's Kevin Crumrie tallied 29 seconds apart to give the Falcons some hope. However, Walker polished off Air Force with the final two goals of the game, putting the finishing touches on his spectacular afternoon.

Walker has scored 10 goals and picked up four assists in Army's last two contests. He leads the team in scoring with 34 points (18 goals, 16 assists).

Matt Scheel contributed a career-high four assists, three in the first half as Army built its insurmountable lead. Larsen scored the first goal of the game to go along with his man-down tally in the fourth and finish with two goals. Wagner scored twice as well.

The Black Knights were able to keep Air Force at bay in the second half by winning 8 of 10 faceoffs and forcing 13 turnovers. The Falcons cleared the ball just 9 of 14 times after the break. The Black Knights scooped up 45 ground balls on the afternoon to Air Force's 27.

Army puts its seven-game winning streak on the line Tue., April 5 with a 7 p.m. contest at No. 15 Stony Brook.