Army vs. Bucknell
April 12, 2003
The Game Story:
WEST POINT, N.Y. - Army scored eight of its 10 goals in the second half, as the Black Knights scored their second major upset in as many weekends with a come-from-behind 10-9 victory over No. 17 Bucknell Saturday afternoon at Shea Stadium. It marked the second consecutive Saturday that an unranked Army squad toppled a ranked opponent.

The win pulls Army (6-5/3-1 Pat. League) into a tie for second place, one-half game out of first in the Patriot League. Hobart, who entered weekend play with a 4-1 mark, sits atop the standings by percentage points. Bucknell (7-3/3-1 Pat. League) saw its five-game win streak come to an end.

Army's John Walker knotted the game at 8-8 with 9:09 left in the fourth quarter, and Mike Kamon followed with a go-ahead goal 11 seconds later to spark a five-goal fourth quarter for the Black Knights. Walker would later get the game-winner with 2:08 remaining after the Bison had evened the score for the last time on Worthy Sanders' third goal of the day.

"(Bucknell) kept sliding differently," Army junior attackman Jeff Bryan said. "We finally figured out where they were sliding from and found some cutters. That is how Walker got his goals in the fourth."

The Black Knights, who trailed by as much as three goals late in the third quarter, received a spark from its extra-man unit late in the third to ride that momentum into the deciding fourth. Jim Wagner buried the first of his two second-half goals with two minutes left in the third quarter while Army was up a man. John Ryan then picked up his second tally of the day one minute into the fourth, cutting a 7-4 deficit to 7-6.

Army goalie Matt Darak tied a career high with 15 saves in the contest, stopping Sanders on the doorstep with 10 seconds remaining in the game to preserve the upset for the hosts. Darak was big all day for the Black Knights after coming off a shaky performance Tuesday at Colgate.

"Matt really needed that," Army head coach Jack Emmer said. "Sometimes a young goalkeeper can look over his shoulder when he gets pulled from a game. That performance was big for his confidence." Bucknell outshot the Black Knights 41-27, but Darak was equal to the task. "Our defense was spectacular," Bryan added. "Darak was fantastic, and (Aaron) Paskalis played an outstanding game."

Bucknell built the first of its three three-goal leads in a low-scoring first half. Four straight markers by the Bison opened up a 4-1 advantage early in the second quarter.

Bucknell goalkeeper Justin Sussman stopped nine shots for the Bison.

Army controlled the faceoff "X", winning 16 of 22 draws, while grabbing 38 ground balls to Bucknell's 27. The Black Knights put an end to the Bison's three-game series winning streak in the process. Walker turned in his fourth hat trick of the year and Bryan had one goal and three assists.

Army is in action again next Saturday when they travel to Geneva, N.Y., for a Patriot League showdown with Hobart at 1 p.m. at Boswell Field.