Army vs. Hobart
March 9, 2002
The Game Story:
WEST POINT, N.Y. - Displaying quick-strike ability Saturday, 19th ranked Army ripped off two four-goal runs in the first half and then turned to senior scoring leader Tim Pearson in the fourth quarter en route to a 14-11 men's lacrosse win over Hobart at West Point's Shea Stadium in the Patriot League season opener for both teams.

Army (2-1 overall, 1-0 Patriot League) exploded for 10 goals inside of a 20-minute first-half span to build a comfortable 10-4 halftime lead, but Hobart (1-2, 0-1) crept back into the contest, scoring five third-quarter goals to trail just 11-9 entering the final stanza.

With the Statesmen riding a wave of momentum, Pearson thwarted the visitors' comeback hopes by scoring a goal at 8:23 of the fourth quarter, and then setting up teammate Marko Kostovic for a tally just 66 seconds later as Army reclaimed a 13-9 advantage with 7:17 left to play. Pearson, who had a hand in all three of Army's fourth-quarter goals and finished the day with seven points (four goals, three assists), added an insurance goal with 5:26 left to move into a tie with Bob Betchley for second place on Army's career scoring list. Pearson has 191 points, leaving him 13 points shy of all-time points leader Steve Heller (204).

The successive goals by Pearson and Kostovic came at a critical juncture of the game. After Hobart goalie Mike Borsz (22 saves) had stopped an Army shot, Pearson came up with the loose ball and zipped a shot past the Statesmen netminder. Hobart coach Matt Kerwick thought Borsz had been interfered with in the crease. Following the ensuing faceoff, which Hobart won, Kerwick was whistled for a bench infraction. While no penalty time was put on the clock, Army was awarded possession of the ball and the Black Knights subsequently scored after Pearson found Kostovic in traffic on the crease.

Tim Booth's extra-man goal with 6:17 left brought Hobart within three, but Pearson answered one minute later and the Black Knights were not threatened thereafter as goalie Dominik Nogic stood tall in the cage. Nogic finished with 17 saves, including 15 in the final three quarters.

The Statesmen looked good early, grabbing a 2-0 lead in the opening five minutes after goals by Kris Shore and Booth. However, Army answered with four straight tallies, ignited by scores from Pearson and John Ryan within a span of 13 seconds, tying the contest at 2-2 with 4:42 to play in the opening quarter. Colin Burke and Pearson beat Borsz within a span of 44 seconds later in the half, capping Army's first four-goal run and giving the hosts the lead for good at 4-2 with 1:09 to play.

After Hobart's Booth sliced the deficit in half at 10:01 of the second quarter, Army's Mike Kamon answered at the 8:27 mark before Jeff Bryan and Jimmy Vlahakis scored in succession just 22 seconds apart. Bryan's second score capped the Army surge, giving the hosts an 8-3 cushion with 4:56 left in the half.

John Bogosian's extra-man goal moved Hobart with 8-4 with 3:33 left, but Kostovic and Chris Roberts responded with goals 34 seconds apart to send Army to the locker room ahead by six.

Booth (four goals) and Nate Hill (one goal, three assists) led Hobart with four points apiece, while Shore added three goals. Bryan, Kamon and Kostovic chipped in with two scores each for the Black Knights.

Army will host Holy Cross at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Mar. 12.