Army vs. Hofstra
March 29, 2005
The Game Story:
WEST POINT, N.Y. - John Walker scored a career-high five goals and Adam Fullerton registered a career best 11 saves to lead No. 5 Army to an 11-10 victory over No. 11 Hofstra at wind-swept Michie Stadium on a cool Tuesday evening. It marked Army's third win over a ranked opponent this season.

Hofstra (3-5) drew to within one with 33 seconds remaining in the game on a goal by Athan Ianucci off a rebound. John Keysor took a shot from 12 yards out that Fullerton saved. However, the ball fell to the ground, and Ianucci quickly scooped it up and dumped the ball over Fullerton's shoulder.

Army (6-1) won the ensuing faceoff, but the Pride forced a turnover near midfield and raced the other way. Hofstra set up its offense inside the restraining box for one last attempt to tie the game and send it into overtime. However Ianucci, who had brought the visitors within striking distance just 25 seconds earlier, threw an errant pass to Chris Unterstein that sailed out of bounds with eight ticks on the clock.

The Black Knights ran out the final eight seconds, securing their sixth straight win of the season and first over Hofstra since 1998. Army is off to its best start since opening the 1991 campaign with a similar 6-1 mark.

Army managed just two shots on goal in the final 15 minutes of play. However, Walker's tally at 12:37 of the fourth quarter proved to be all the Black Knights needed. It capped a career day for the All-American attackman, who tied a career high with seven points. Fellow All-American Jim Wagner scored three goals and added two assists.

Head coach Jack Emmer picked up his 321st victory all-time on the occasion of his 500th career game. Army's six-game winning streak is the school's longest since a similar stretch in 1987.

The Black Knights jumped out to a 3-1 advantage early on two goals by Wagner, sandwiched around Walker's first tally of the night. But the Pride showed their resiliency by scoring the game's next three goals and taking a short-lived 4-3 lead two minutes into the second quarter.

Ryan Chase scored his first career goal at 7:24 of the second quarter and that sparked a 6-1 run by the Black Knights, which gave the home team its largest lead of the night at 9-5 with 5:53 to go in the third quarter. Walker scored three times during that run, and Wagner added an extra-man tally 1:34 after Chase had tied the game.

Fullerton faced his biggest challenge to date in the cage and was equal to the task. The freshman recorded a season-high 11 saves. Hofstra goalkeeper Matt Southard struggled all night, coming up with two saves on 13 shots on goal, and not registering a stop after halftime.

Army remains undefeated at home (4-0) and has won its last four games at venerable Michie Stadium dating back to last season's finale.

The Black Knights return to the historic venue Saturday afternoon for a 1 p.m. faceoff with service-academy rival Air Force. That game will be broadcast over the internet at . Ray Martel will call the action from high atop Lusk Reservoir.