Army vs. Marist
April 3, 2004
The Game Story:
WEST POINT, N.Y. - John Walker and Jim Wagner each recorded hat tricks as No. 12 Army ran away from a pesky Marist squad in the second half en route to an 11-5 victory Saturday afternoon at Shea Stadium. Army, 6-2, is off to its best start since 1993. Marist falls to 3-4.

The Black Knights dominated Hudson Valley rival Marist in almost every statistical category in the first ever meeting between the two schools. However, Red Foxes goalkeeper Steve Gravino turned in an outstanding performance, making 21 saves, keeping his teammates close as long as possible.

Wagner and Marko Kostovic tallied in the final 1:07 of the second quarter to break a 3-all tie and lift Army to a 5-3 lead at halftime. Jake Couch then opened the second half with a marker at 13:55, capping a four-goal run for the hosts that opened up a 6-3 advantage. Marist would only get as close as two the rest of the afternoon.

Wagner had a hand in three of the four tallies during that decisive stretch. The junior attackman finished with five points, posting three goals and two assists.

Walker carried the load from there, assisting on two third-quarter goals and picking up a goal and an assist in the fourth. The crafty attackman finished with a game-high six points and seven ground balls. It marked the second straight game in which Walker posted six points, having burned Lafayette for six earlier in the week.

The Black Knights outshot Marist, 47-19, and held a 41-27 advantage in ground balls. Erik Mineo and Tony Vozzolo combined at the faceoff "X" to win 14 out of 19 draws. Army's ability to control faceoffs and its relentless pursuit in the riding game were both big factors in the win. The Red Foxes converted just 13 of 25 clears.

Kostovic and Couch each finished with two goals. Chris Larsen picked up his first career tally with 57 seconds left in the third quarter off a feed from Walker. Doug Bartolotta recorded an assist on Wagner's marker with 1:07 left in the first half.

Billy Duerr led Marist with three goals. Keith Detelj had a goal and an assist.

Matt Darak was called upon to make just seven saves in 58:57 of work. Eddie Clark was credited with a save, working the final 1:03 in relief.

Army returns to action Wednesday, April 7 when it travels to Yale for a non-league contest in the middle of the week. Faceoff in New Haven, Conn., is set for 3 p.m.