Army vs. Pennsylvania
May 2, 2009
The Game Story:
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Army sophomore attackman Jeremy Boltus totaled two goals and three assists, while senior attackman Jason Peyer added two goals and an assist, but it was Penn holding on for an 11-10 victory over the Black Knights on Senior Day at Michie Stadium.

Penn (5-8) led by as many as three goals on six separate occasions during the game, but Army (6-10) would fight back to a one-goal deficit each time. With the Quakers leading 11-8 with 3:06 to go in the fourth quarter, the Black Knights scored two unanswered goals to pull within one with 1:14 on the clock. Army had two possessions in the final minute, but couldn’t notch the equalizer to fall by one goal for the fifth time this season.

“I’m very proud of how our seniors played today and how they brought us back to within one at the end of the game to give us a chance to win,” said Army head coach Joe Alberici. “My gut aches for these seniors because they gave everything they could this season and another one-goal loss is tough to swallow.”

Penn senior attackman Craig Andrzejewski led all scorers with seven points on three goals and four assists, while senior goalkeeper Greg Murray totaled 17 saves in the victory.

Penn controlled much of the first quarter action, out-shooting Army 12-4 and scoring three unanswered goal to start the game. Andrzejewski made a move to get open behind the Army goal and scored from the left side at 13:02, before senior midfielder Casey O’Rourke shirked his defender and scored on a seven-yard bouncer at 6:00. Sophomore attackman Morgan Griff finished the first-period scoring by taking a feed from Andrzejewski in front of the Black Knight goal and converting from five yards away at 4:40.

In the second quarter, Boltus got the Black Knights on the board from close range after a nice feed from freshman midfielder Sean O’Sullivan at 8:00, but Andrzejewski tallied on a low, five-yard rip to make it a 4-1 Penn lead with 6:42 on the clock.
Army finished the half with two consecutive goals from senior attackman Brooks Korvin to pull within one before intermission. Boltus made a run down the field and fed Korvin for a goal just outside the left side of the Penn crease at 3:17, before Korvin beat two Quaker defenders and netted a goal at 1:51 as the Black Knights trailed, 4-3, after two quarters of play.

Penn senior midfielder Garvey Heiderman scored back-to-back goals to start the second half, making a nice move to lose his defender for an unassisted tally at 13:54, before converting a pass from Andrzejewski 50 seconds later to put the visitors back up by three, 6-3.

Boltus sent a long pass from behind the Penn goal to Peyer, who scored on a 10-yard shot at 12:55, but Penn junior attackman Rob McMullen converted a quality pass from freshman attackman John Conneely at 7:02 to maintain the Quakers’ three-goal edge, 7-4. The Black Knights would pull back within a goal after senior midfielder Alex Rhoads took a long Boltus feed from behind the cage and whipped home a 12-yard shot at 6:16, before junior midfielder Andrew Maisano took advantage of a fallen Penn defender to score on an eight-yard shot to trail, 7-6, at the 5:36 mark. Andrzejewski’s third goal of the day with 34 seconds on the clock put the visitors back up by two, 8-6, after three quarters of play.

Black Knight senior midfielder Sean Reppard won the opening faceoff of the fourth quarter and raced down the field to score an unassisted goal only six seconds into final period to pull the home team within one, 8-7, but the Quakers would rebuild their three goal lead with goals by senior midfielder Drew Collins at 10:21, and Heiderman to lead 10-7 with 9:40 to play in the game.

Black Knight senior defenseman Scott Rosenshein caused a Penn turnover and ran down the field to take a shot that just made it past Murray for his first career goal with 7:05 to play, but a man-up goal by senior attckman Alex Weber off an Andrzejewski assist put the Quakers back up, 11-8, with 5:00 remaining in the contest.

Peyer would be on the receiving end of some good ball movement in transition and convert a Boltus pass from close range at 3:06, before returning the favor to Boltus for a tally with 1:14 left to play in the game.

Army would have two solid possessions in the final minute of the game, including one last shot at the game-tying goal with 10.7 seconds left on the clock. On the final possession, Boltus was able to control a low pass from behind the goal, but wasn’t able to get a strong enough shot off as the final horn sounded.