Bucknell vs. Army
April 10, 2010
The Game Story:
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Garrett Thul scored the tying goal with five seconds remaining in regulation and Tyler Seymour won it for Army with a shorthanded goal in sudden-death overtime, dealing Bucknell another one-goal setback, 7-6 at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium on Saturday night. Charlie Streep scored three goals for the Bison, who are now 6-5 on the season with all five losses coming by one goal, including three in overtime.

Army improved to 5-5 overall and remained perfect in Patriot League play at 3-0. The Black Knights won for the second straight weekend in overtime after defeating Colgate in extra time last Saturday. This time they rallied from deficits of 4-1 in the first half and 5-3 and 6-5 in the fourth quarter to pull it out.

After Seymour opened the scoring just 56 seconds into the game, Bucknell seeming took control with a four-goal run. Streep scored twice and Austin Winter once to make it 3-1 after one quarter, and Chase Bailey scored an extra-man goal early in the second to put the Bison up 4-1.

Army managed to cut the deficit to one by halftime behind goals from Brian LoRusso and Sean O’Sullivan. There was no scoring the third quarter, then Nick Gantsoudes potted an unassisted goal in the first minute of the fourth to restore Bucknell’s two-goal cushion at 5-3.

The Black Knights, who had lost five straight to Bucknell, battled back again, this time tying the game on goals by Devin Lynch and Thul, the latter with 5:50 remaining.

Streep was the hero momentarily for the Bison when he came around from the side of the goal and scored with an acrobatic diving shot with just 1:16 left to put them ahead 6-5. Bucknell won the faceoff and got the ball in the box, but after a restart they turned it over with 25 seconds left. Army cleared and called timeout, then Thul scored from about 12 yards out off a feed from Andrew Maisano with just five seconds left on the clock.

Bucknell’s Jake Clarke was dominant at the faceoff X all night, and he won another one to start overtime. Army goalie Tom Palesky made a save on Winter with 2:41 left, and not long after the Bison went up a man when the Black Knights were flagged for unnecessary roughness.

Bailey had the ball in front but before he could launch a shot it was checked from his stick by Tim Henderson. Palesky picked up the ground ball, and his outlet pass started a breakout for Army. With 1:31 left Thul scored off a feed from Larry LoRusso to end it.

Bucknell won 12 of the 17 faceoffs, with Clarke going 12-for-16 with eight ground balls. Army finished with a 31-26 shot advantage, while the Bison won a close ground ball battle 32-30.

Palesky finished with 11 saves for Army, and at the other end Kyle Feeney made seven of his 10 stops in the second half.

This was the 10th time in the last 14 series meetings that the two teams played a one-goal game. Army’s last series win was an 8-7 decision in Lewisburg in 2006. Bucknell had won five straight since then, including victories in the 2008 and 2009 Patriot League Tournaments.

Army remained in a first-place tie with Lafayette atop the Patriot League standings, as the Leopards also got to 3-0 after an overtime win over Holy Cross. Colgate was a 12-4 winner over Lehigh, putting Bucknell, Lehigh and Colgate all in a tie for fourth place at 1-3. The good news for the Bison is they still have Lehigh and Colgate on the schedule at home, starting next Friday night against the Mountain Hawks at 7 p.m.