Bucknell vs. Delaware
February 11, 2012
The Game Story:
LEWISBURG, Pa. – 12th-ranked Bucknell rallied from five goals down to force overtime, but No. 19 Delaware spoiled the Bison's season opener on Danny Keane's goal with five seconds remaining in the first extra period. Todd Heritage (Cheshire, Conn./Cheshire) scored four goals, including the tying tally in the fourth quarter, but the Bison could not quite finish off the comeback on a cold, snowy day at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

Sophomore Tom Black (Essex Fells, N.J./West Essex) scored his first two collegiate goals, and Chase Bailey (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Prep) added a goal and two assists. After a tough start, Kyle Feeney (Greenwich, Conn./Greenwich) was terrific in the fourth quarter, making six saves without allowing a goal, and he finished with 10 saves on the day.

Delaware (2-0) already had a game under its belt, a 19-6 win over Detroit last week. Keane and Sean Finegan tallied three goals apiece for the Blue Hens, while Grant Kaleikau dished out four assists, including a nice feed to Keane on the doorstep for the winning goal.

It was all Delaware in the early going, as the Blue Hens led 3-1 after one quarter and 6-3 at the half. They stretched the lead up to five on two occasions in the third period, the last coming at 10-5 on Mark Yetter's goal with 6:54 left in the third.

But as the snow began to intensify, so did Bucknell's all-around play. The Bison stiffened defensively and did not concede another goal for the remainder of regulation. In the meantime, the offense got going as well, and Bucknell rallied to tie. Black got it going with a rocket from the left side with 5:57 left in the third quarter. Just over two minutes later, defensive middie Kyle O'Keefe (Madison, N.J./Hotchkiss) came down in transition and skipped a shot past Chris Herbert to make it 10-7.

Bucknell got one more before the end of the quarter on a beautiful passing combination, a tic-tac-toe sequence with Billy Eisenreich (Chatham, N.J./Chatham) feeding Bailey, who passed across the goal mouth to Heritage for a slam dunk with 0:03 on the clock.

The fourth quarter started with a brilliant save by Feeney on a point-blank shot by Finegan. Bucknell cleared, and then freshman David Dickson (Greenwich, Conn./Greenwich) collected his first career point on a nice feed in front to Bailey, whose quick spinning shot made it a 10-9 game.

After hitting the post twice, the Bison finally tied it up at the 6:57 mark on another heads-up play by Dickson. Herbert had just made a nice kick save on a shot by Nick Gantsoudes (Redding, Conn./Avon Old Farms), but Dickson grabbed the long rebound and fed it right back in front to a wide open Heritage, who buried his fourth goal of the day.

Both teams had multiple possessions later in regulation but could not convert. Feeney made three saves in the final four minutes, including a terrific stop on a Delaware fastbreak, as well as a save on Carter Bloor's outside attempt with 0:03 remaining.

The teams alternated turnovers in the overtime period. The Bison tried to force the ball inside with about 90 seconds left but could not complete the pass. Taylor Burns grabbed the ground ball for Delaware, the Blue Hens cleared and then worked the ball around for more than a minute before Kaleikau slotted a perfect pass from X to a cutting Keane for the game-winner.

Delaware outshot Bucknell 35-29, while the Bison had a 37-27 edge in ground balls. Delaware turned the ball over 25 times compared to 21 for Bucknell, and the Blue Hens finished with a 13-10 edge in ground balls.