Bucknell vs. Hobart
February 24, 2007
The Game Story:
BROOKLANDVILLE, Md.-First-year midfielder Tim Brandau (McDonough/Owings
Mills, Md.) scored with 1:16 remaining in overtime to lift the Bucknell
University lacrosse team to an 11-10 victory over Hobart College. Brandau
led the Bison with two goals and two assists.

The loss overshadowed several exceptional individual performances. Junior
attackman Jamie Kirk (Salisbury School/Orangeville, Ontario) recorded a
game-high eight points, the most since classmate Daryl Veltman (Salisbury
School/Georgetown, Ontario) produced eight points at Canisius last season.
Kirk dished out seven assists, including four feeds to Veltman, who finished
with six goals, the most by a Hobart player since Feb. 23, 2003, when John
Bogosian '03 netted six against Butler.

Hobart junior Dan Spinella (New Hartford/New Hartford, N.Y.) dominated the
faceoff X, winning 17 of the game's 25 restarts, including all 10 in the
second quarter, while sophomore midfielder Matt Smalley (Avon Old
Farms/Cumberland, R.I.) collected a game-high 11 ground balls, many of them
on faceoffs, leading the Statesmen to a 44-29 advantage in that category.
Smalley's total is the most by a Hobart player since Tim Booth '03 recorded
11 against Lehigh on March 22, 2003.

The teams alternated goals in the first quarter, heading to the second tied,
2-2. The Statesmen (0-2) began the frame with three quick goals and looked
poised to break the game open. The first Kirk to Veltman connection started
the run at the 13:01 mark. Less than a minute later, Kirk scored on a feed
from first-year Mike Suits (CBA/Jamesville, N.Y.). Junior midfielder Nick
Currie (Corning East/Corning, N.Y.), assisted by Kirk, closed out the run at
the 10:45 mark.

The tally chased Bucknell starting goalie Matt Antonelli (Archbishop
Spaulding/Arnold, Md.), who finished with five saves. Sophomore Nick Sciubba
(Salisbury School/Sea Cliff, N.Y.) provided the Bison with the lift they
needed, stopping the first shot he faced and posting 11 in 43:29.

Bucknell snapped out of its offensive funk with four unanswered goals and
five of the half's final six goals to carry a 7-6 lead into the break.
Senior attackman Brian Gargan (Mt. St. Joseph's/Baltimore, Md.) scored twice
during the resurgence.

Like the first quarter, the third quarter featured a total of four goals in
alternating fashion. Each time Hobart tied the game, Bucknell went back in
front, taking a 9-8 lead into the fourth quarter.

With 12:02 remaining in regulation, the final Kirk to Veltman feed tied the
game, 9-9. Veltman's final goal, assisted by Currie, with 1:26 to go gave
Hobart its first lead since early in the second quarter, but sophomore
midfielder Perry Menzies' (Hereford/Upperco, Md.) score, set up by a great
behind the cage feed by first-year attackman Austin Winter (Mountain
Lakes/Boonton Township, N.J.), with 47 remaining, set up Brandau's heroics.
Menzies had a team-high three goals, while Winter had three assists.

Both teams got off two shots in overtime, but Brandau made the most of his,
putting his shot in the upper right corner of the cage on a blistering shot
from 10 feet away from senior goalie Brandon Baer (Locust Valley/Bayville,
N.Y.). Baer made nine saves in the contest.

Hobart will make its 2007 home debut on March 3, when the Statesmen host
Binghamton on McCooey Field. Faceoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.