Bucknell vs. Maryland
March 15, 2005
The Game Story:
LEWISBURG, Pa. - Bucknell's 18th-ranked men's lacrosse team gave fourth-ranked Maryland all it could handle Tuesday, but the Terrapins used a six-goal run bridging the third and fourth quarters to break open a one-goal game and post a 14-10 victory at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

Chris Cara logged three goals and four assists and Patrick Christensen picked up his second straight hat trick for the Bison (2-2), who were coming off an 8-7 overtime win over No. 2 Navy on Saturday. Brendan Healy had three goals and Bill McGlone two goals and two assists for Maryland (3-1).

In Sunday's upset of Navy, the Bison trailed 7-4 before scoring the game's last four goals. Against Maryland, the Bison fell behind by that same score late in the third period, but Cara and Brian Gargan scored just 27 seconds apart, making it a 7-6 game and stirring up memories of the game 72 hours earlier.

This time the visiting team responded, as defensive middie Travis Holmes scored from outside and Xander Ritz pocketed a back-breaking man-up goal with just 10 seconds left in the third quarter.

McGlone, Michael Phipps, Joe Walters and Healy followed in the first five minutes of the fourth period to give the Terrapins six goal in a span of 5:56 and a commanding 13-6 lead. The Bison scored four of the game's final five goals, with Cara scoring or assisting on three.

Bucknell goalie Matt Baran was the story of the first half. The junior made one acrobatic save after another in the opening 30 minutes, keeping the Bison within 5-4 at halftime. Baran had eight saves in the first quarter and had 13 by halftime before finishing with 17 on the day.

After falling behind 3-1, Patrick Christensen scored an EMO goal with three seconds left in the first quarter. Freshman Nick Marks scored his first career goal 1:23 into the second to tie it a 3-all, and Cara finished a Steve Case pass just 47 seconds later for a 4-3 Bison lead.

Dave Matz tied it at the 6:07 mark of the second quarter, and Baran made three straight highlight reel saves, including a point-blank stop on Joe Walters that he punctuated with a leap for the rebound, before Healy finally put Maryland ahead to stay with 44 seconds left in the half.

Maryland outshot Bucknell 45-29 and held a 47-27 edge in ground balls. The Terps won 16 of 28 faceoffs and force eight turnovers in 24 Bison clearing chances. Both teams did damage on special teams. Bucknell was 3-for-7 with a man advantage, while Maryland was 2-for-6.

Cara's second-period goal gave him his 200th career point. He now has 205 in his career, 15 shy of Pete von Hoffmann's all-time Bucknell record.

Bucknell returns to action on Saturday at 1 p.m. against Patriot League rival Holy Cross at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. Maryland hosts UMBC at 1 p.m.