Canisius vs. Mount Saint Mary's
March 29, 2003
The Game Story:
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Senior attack Mark Miyashita scored four goals and added an assist as Canisius College used a 6-1 second quarter to pull away from Mount St. Mary's College en route to an 12-7 victory over the MAAC Lacrosse League's preseason favorite Saturday afternoon at the Desmke Sports Complex. The Griffs even their MAAC record at 2-2 and improve to 2-5 overall, while the Mount falls to 1-6, 0-1 in the league. The win was Canisius' first win over the Mountaineers since 1995, breaking a seven-game losing skid against the visitors.

"This was a fantastic win for our program," said Canisius head coach Randy Mearns. "It is a tremendous confidence boost for the guys and shows that we can play at a high level of intensity, remain focused, and work our systems. The guys are buying into what we are trying to do here and today's effort is product of that."

Mount St. Mary's opened the scoring just 2:26 into the game with a goal by Kevin Merlini. Canisius rallied back to scored the next two goals, the first by junior Steve Muskopf with 8:43 remaining and the next 29 seconds later by junior Chris Tocin. The Mountaineers knotted the score at 2-2 with four seconds left in the quarter on Merlini's second of the game. The Griffs would own the second quarter scoring six unanswered goals to build an 8-2 lead before a late Mount goal gave the Blue and Gold an 8-3 halftime lead. Miyashita got things going for Canisius, scoring two quick goals, the first a man-up tally 52 seconds into the quarter and the second just 1:04 later. Sophomore Travis Hill scored his first of the season with 8:13 remaining for a 5-2 lead and Muskopf tallied his second and third of the game, including a man-up goal at the 6:13 mark for a 7-2 Canisius advantage. Tocin added his second of the afternoon on a pass from Miyashita with 3:27 left for Canisius' largest lead of the game. Mount's Daniel Hatton stopped the Canisius barrage with a tally with 1:36 remaining before the halftime break.

Mount St. Mary's opened the third quarter with the intent of cutting down the Canisius lead and did so with two quick goals by Billy Jautze. Jautze scored a man-up goal 3:44 into the quarter on an assist from Josh Warfield and added his second with 7:56 remaining. Miyashita would tally his third of the game for Canisius just 28 seconds later for a 9-5 Canisius lead, while Warfield cut Mount's deficit down to 9-6 with a goal at the 2:52 mark. Canisius had the answer again as Miyashita scored his fourth of the afternoon with 1:37 left for a 10-6 Canisius lead after third quarters. The Griffs sealed the win with two goals in the fourth quarter, a tally by Greg Campbell with 8:56 remaining and another by Rick Neward with 4:37 left. The Mount scored 34 seconds later on Merlini's third of the game, but Canisius' defense closed down the Mount's offense and secured the win for the Griffs.

Freshman Tom Kucharczak picked up the victory for the Blue and Gold, registering 15 saves. Dave Lambour recorded 10 saves for the Mount. Canisius returns to action on the road Monday, March 31, against Providence at 3:00 p.m.