Canisius vs. Mount Saint Mary's
May 5, 2006
The Game Story:
Buffalo, N.Y. (May 5, 2006)--Mount St. Mary's, the No. 2 seed, rallied from a three-goal first half deficit to defeat #3 Canisius, 13-9, in the second semifinal game of the 2006 MAAC Men's Lacrosse Championship presented by Greater Buffalo Savings Bank at the Demske Sports Complex on the campus of Canisius College. Jason Werner scored four goals to lead the Mount (7-8) to the victory.

The Golden Griffins (7-8) jumped to a 2-0 lead with a pair of goals in the first 4:02 of the game. Tom Hensel and Michael Blocho provided the offense with a pair of unassisted scores. The Mount evened the score when Werner converted a Matt Warner pass at the 9:59 mark and Tilghamn Herring scored with 1:24 left to knot the game at 2-2 after one quarter of play.

Canisius carried play in the second quarter, scoring three straight goals to take a 5-2 lead. MAAC Offensive Player of the Year Kevin Ross tallied his 35th goal of the season to give Canisius the lead, 3-2. Stephen Ola and Reed Peterson added goals to give Canisius a 5-2 edge with 1:32 left in the half. The Mount's Benjamin Mundorf answered with a score 31 seconds later to make the score 5-3 at the half.

After Phil Riggi scored with 5:54 into the third quarter for a 6-3 Canisius lead, the Mount ran off six unanswered goals to take control of the game. Sophomore Dave Orban started teh rally when he converted a Tilghman Herring pass for his 10th goal of the year with 8:35 left in the third. Peter Kerwin notched his third goal of the year to cut the deficit to 65 and the Mount tied the game with 1:23 left in the half when Orban scored an extra-man goal. Matt Warner gave the Mount its first lead of the contest when he scored with 57 seconds left for a 7-6 Mount lead after three quarters of play.

The run continued when Werner and Eric Seifert scored back-to-back tallies for a 9-6 Moun tlead with 12:06 left. Canisius answered with a pair of goals to cut the Mount's lead to 9-8, but Werner connected for a pair of goals for an 11-8 Mount lead with 5:16 on the clock. Kiel Illg cut the deficit to 11-9, but Warner and Mundorf scored to round out the scoring in the game and give the Mount the 13-9 victory.

Werner led the way with four goals while also collecting six ground balls for the Mount. Warner added two goals and two assists in the game. With his two goals, Warner tied Steve Ricker's school record for goals in a season with 137. Mundorf added two goals and an assist while Orban added a pair of goals in the victory. Ross had two goals and an assist to lead the Golden Griffins while Riggi added two goals.

Mount goalkeeper Chris Channing made five saves in the victory while Tom Kucharczak had eight saves in the loss. The Mount held a 35-33 advantage in shots, including a 12-4 edge in the fourth quarter. The Mount also had a 37-23 advantage in ground balls.

Mount St. Mary's advances to face top-seeded Providence in the MAAC Championship game at noon on Sunday at the Demske Sports Complex in Buffalo. Providence defeated Marist, 11-10, in overtime in the other semifinal game. The winner of Sunday's game receives an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Game Notes: The Mount improved to 7-3 all-time in MAAC Tournament games...Mount St. Mary's advances to its second straight MAAC championship game...Last year, the Mount lost to Marist, 10-6, in the title game...The Mount is 2-2 all-time in MAAC championship games.