Cornell vs. Army
March 11, 2006
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. - It's been 20 seasons since the Cornell University men's lacrosse team held an opponent to a single goal, but on Saturday afternoon at Schoellkopf Field the Big Red did just that, while using an 11-0 scoring run over the final 46 minutes of play to defeat Army, 13-1. With the win, Cornell improves to 3-0 overall and runs its home winning-streak to eight games, while the Black Knights fall to 1-3 on the season.

Cornell dominated the game, outshooting the Black Knights 49-13, while holding a 21-8 advantage in shots on goal. In all, 10 different Big Red players found the back of the net, with junior David Mitchell (Moose Jaw, Sask.) leading the way with three goals. Also registering three points on the day was junior Eric Pittard (Skaneateles, N.Y.) who tallied three assists. A trio of freshman had mutli-point games as Max Seibald (Hewlett, N.Y.) registered two goals, while Chris Finn (Manhassett, N.Y.) and Kyle Doctor (Skaneateles, N.Y.) each had one goal and one assist.

The Big Red opened the scoring just under four minutes into the first period when junior Casey Lewis (Clifton Park, N.Y.) rocketed a shot from 15-yards out and beat Army goalie Adam Fullerton to his lower left.

Mitchell ran the score to 2-0 at the 9:03 mark when he scooped up a ground ball on the right side of the goal, dodged past his defender and sent a worm burner from just outside the crease through Fullerton's legs.

The Black Knights got on the board with just under two minutes to go in the opening stanza, scoring in transition when Jon Burton took a pass from Mike Obringer and scored straight on from 15-yards out.

Cornell responded immediately as freshman Tommy Schmicker (Rye, N.Y.) won the en suing face off to set up the Big Red offense. Senior Dave Bush's (East Syracuse, N.Y.) initial shot went wide, but sophomore John Espey (Commack, N.Y.) collected the ball and found junior Brian Clayton (Monsey, N.Y.), who converted from 20-yards out.

The Big Red ran the score to 4-1 early in the second when Pittard passed the ball from behind the cage, hitting a charging Mitchell who one-timed it into the goal.

Cornell scored on the same exact play to make it 5-1 just seven minutes later, converting on the first extra man-up opportunity of the game for either team.

Cornell dominated the first half, ousthooting the Black Knights 27-4, including a 9-3 shots on goal differential, to take a four goal lead into the intermission.

The Big Red opened the third period with the man-up advantage and wasted little time making it 6-1, as Pittard passed from behind the cage to Seibald who rocketed a shot from the right side, 10-yards out, to beat Fullerton down low.

Seibald would strike again just under four minutes later when he ripped an underhand shot from 15-yards out, beating Fullerton to his lower left side, to make it 7-1.

McMonagle set up the next Cornell goal as he intercepted a Black Knight pass and hit junior Ethan Vedder (Yorktown, N.Y.) in stride as he streaked up field. The long-stick midfielder would register his first career goal, scoring from just outside the crease.

The Big Red made it 9-1 a mere nine seconds into the final stanza when Schmicker won the opening face off and got the ball to Bush, who dodged past his defender and scored from point blank range.

Just over three minutes later, junior Henry Bartlett (Huntingdon Valley, Pa.) tallied his first goal of the season when he took a pass from senior Joe Boulukos (Huntington, N.Y.) on the far left side of the field and managed to slip a tough-angle shot past Fullerton.

Cornell's 11th goal of the day was a spectacular one, as Finn sent a high pass over the top of the cage to classmate Rocco Romero (Denver, Colo.) who jumped up and one timed it over the top of Fullerton to make it 11-1 with just over nine minutes to play.

Finn would get a goal of his own at the 10:14 mark when he took a pass from Doctor and ripped a low shot through the Army defense to find the back of the net.

The Big Red's final tally of the game would come off the stick of Doctor, who converted a pass from sophomore Tee Cahill (Ridgefield, Conn.) to make it 13-1 with 2:01 remaining in the contest.

For the game, Cornell held the advantage in ground balls, 44-27 and face offs, winning 10-of-17-attempts, thanks in large part to Schmicker's 9-of-14 performance in the circle. The Big Red was a perfect 2-for-2 in extra-man opportunities and didn't commit a single penalty during the game.

Junior netminder Matt McMonagle (Bryn Mawr, Pa.) made seven saves to get the win, while Fullerton stopped seven in just under 51 minutes of play, while allowing 11 goals. Eddie Clark and Nick LoRusso split the final 9:17 in goal, combining for one save and two goals allowed.

Cornell is back in action on Wednesday, March 15 as it plays host to Lehigh at Schoellkopf Field at 4 p.m. It will be the first meeting between the two lacrosse programs since the 1955 season.