Cornell vs. Canisius
March 11, 2003
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. - The No. 20 Cornell men's lacrosse team earned its second win of the season as 10 different players found the back of the net in a 19-6 victory over Canisius at Schoellkopf Field Tuesday evening. Sophomore Sean Greenhalgh tallied a season-high five goals and junior Andrew Collins recorded four assists for the second-straight home contest. With the victory, the Big Red evens its 2003 record at 2-2, while Canisius drops to 0-3.

Freshman Joe Boulukos gave Cornell a 1-0 lead 4:25 into the contest on an unassisted tally, and Greenhalgh made it 2-0 nearly a minute later on an assist from Collins with four seconds left on a Canisius penalty. The Griffs refused to fall behind quickly and netted a pair of goals over the next five minutes to knot the score at two. Jonathan Duggan and Greg Campbell scored for the visitors before Big Red sophomore Kevin Nee scored his third goal of the season in a man-up situation on a helper from Greenhalgh to regain the lead at 3-2.

From that point till the very end of the opening half, the Griffs had an answer to every Cornell goal and kept the home team from having another multi-goal lead until senior tri-captain J.P. Schalk scored with 1:20 remaining before the break to give the Big Red a 7-5 halftime advantage. Greenhalgh netted three of his goals in the second quarter including a behind-the-back shot that eluded Canisius goaltender Thomas Kucharczak with 4:36 left in the half.

Cornell kept up the strong play it put forth in the closing minutes of the first half to outscore the Griffs 7-0 in the third quarter. Greenhalgh opened the half with his final goal of the contest to give the Big Red its first three-goal lead of the day at 8-5. During the decisive quarter, sophomore Justin Redd scored back-to-back goals and junior Scott Raasch tallied his first goal as a member of the Big Red since transferring from Fairfield last year. Collins also recorded two goals in the third quarter, the first coming on an assist from senior Frank Sands, the other off a pass by junior Dave Pittard, who also found the back of the net in the quarter.

With a commanding 14-5 lead heading into the final quarter, Cornell would continue to increase the Canisius deficit. Boulukos notched his second goal of the day just 47 seconds into the quarter and Raasch scored again at the 1:59 mark on Collins fourth assist of the contest.

Steve Muskopf ended the Big Red's streak of 11 consecutive goals with the final tally of his hat trick to cut the lead to 16-6 with 9:36 remaining in regulation. Cornell scored the final three goals of the contest, including the first goal of sophomore Daniel Leary's career. Cornell held a 43-38 advantage in groundballs and won 16 of the game's 26 faceoffs. Big Red goaltender Brandon Ross stopped six Griff shots before Adam Buttermore took over in the fourth quarter and made three saves of his own. Kucharczak recorded 17 saves for Canisius, including 14 in the first half.

The Big Red will return to action on Saturday, March 15, when it welcomes No. 15 Penn State to Schoellkopf Field for a contest beginning at noon. Cornell earned an 11-9 road victory against the Nittany Lions last season.