Cornell vs. Colgate
February 27, 2007
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. (2/27/2007)—Cornell University senior Eric Pittard registered a game-high four goals and two assists to lead the fourth-ranked Big Red to a 16-6 victory over visiting Colgate University. The Big Red held the Raiders scoreless for 16:18 over the span of two quarters as it pulled away with an 8-3 score early in the third quarter.

Senior Brendan Hurley (West Islip, N.Y.) and sophomore Kevin Colleluori (Bethpage, N.Y.) led the Raiders (2-1) with two goals apiece. John Glynn registered two goals and three assists for five points in the win. David Mitchell also recorded a hat trick for the Big Red.

Cornell (2-0) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the opening 10 minutes of the first half with goals from Eric Pittard and David Mitchell. Pittard took a Rocco Romero pass and fired home a shot over the left shoulder of Colgate goalie Tim Harrington (Lutherville, Md.) at the 11:58 mark. Mitchell got on the board after a groundball by John Glynn with 5:13 remaining in the quarter.

Colgate’s Ian Murphy (Constantia, N.Y.) put the Raiders in the scoring column with a shot over the right shoulder of Matt McMonagle with 2:48 left in the opening frame. Sophomore Brandon Corp (Chittenango, N.Y.) registered a score 33 seconds later out of a Colgate timeout to even the score at 2-2.

The Raiders struck first in the second quarter as Colleluori gave Colgate its only lead of the game with 11:47 on the clock.

Cornell answered with four unanswered scores in a 10-minute span to head into the break in front 6-3. Glynn and Pittard both had a goal and an assist in the three-goal streak.

The Big Red came out of halftime on fire, pushing its lead to 8-3 with a pair of goals in the opening 2:44 of the quarter. Tommy Schmicker and Pittard got the scores for Cornell.

Hurley stopped the run for the Raiders with a shot into the right-hand corner of the cage. It was Colgate’s first goal since the 11:47 mark of the second quarter, a scoreless drought of 16:18 for the Raiders.

Cornell responded right away once again with four consecutive goals in the next three minutes to put the game out of reach at 12-4 with 1:38 left in the third quarter. Colleluori notched his second goal of the contest to make it 12-5, but the Big Red closed out the period with Schmicker tally for a 13-5 lead heading into the fourth stanza.

Hurley struck for the Raiders just 25 seconds into the fourth-quarter with a man-up goal, but Cornell once again had a quick response, scoring 1:10 later to maintain the eight-goal advantage. The Big Red closed out the game with a pair of goals to earn the 16-6 victory.

Cornell controlled the game at the X, winning 18 of 26 faceoffs in the contest. The Big Red held a 47-20 advantage in shots and picked up 41 groundballs to the Raiders’ 27.

Harrington went the distance in goal for the Raiders, making 10 saves. McMonagle played all 60 minutes for Cornell and had seven stops.

Colgate returns to action on March 3, hosting Canisius at 1 p.m., on Tyler’s Field.