Cornell vs. Colgate
March 4, 2003
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. - The Cornell men's lacrosse team survived a slow start and a 7-4 deficit in the fourth quarter, netting the contest's final four goals to complete an 8-7 comeback victory over Colgate in its 2003 home opener. Sophomore Sean Greenhalgh tallied three goals and added an assist, while junior Andrew Collins had a five-point day, including the game-winning goal with just over two minutes left in regulation.

After suffering a tough day at the 'faceoff x' Saturday against Georgetown, the Big Red turned to freshman Joe D'Arrigo on Tuesday. He did not disappoint, as he earned 17 of the 19 faceoffs he took in the contest including all 10 in the decisive second half.

The Raiders came out strong, scoring the game's first three goals. Scott Herbst earned assists on goals by Nick Gerken and Peter Watts, while Jason Vasas scored the first of his three first-half goals. The Big Red were unable to find the back of the net until midway through the second quarter. Junior Dave Pittard scored his first goal as a member of the Big Red on Collins' first assist of the contest to cut the Colgate lead to 3-1.

Vasas would then help the Raiders earn their biggest lead of the afternoon with a pair of unassisted tallies, including a man-up goal, to stretch the lead to 5-1. Cornell would go on to score the final goal of the opening half as Collins connected with Pittard again with 1:57 left on the clock. Colgate goaltender Andrew Jarolimek made eight first-half saves.

Junior J.P. Schalk and Greenhalgh each notched their first goals of 2003 in the first six minutes of the third quarter to get the Big Red within one goal. Peter Watts upped the Raider lead to 6-4 with an unassisted goal in the final minute of the quarter. Cornell outshot Colgate 14-2 in the quarter, but was able to put only four of its shots on goal.

Chris Devens gave the Raiders a three-goal cushion early on in the final quarter with an assist from Nick Gerken. Faced with a 7-4 deficit, the Big Red responded quickly with goals from Greenhalgh and classmate Justin Redd to make it a 7-6 contest.

Greenhalgh tied the game with 8:22 remaining in regulation when he picked up a rebound off a saved shot in front of the net and scored his third and final goal of the day. After six minutes of failed chances on both ends, Collins netted the game-winner after thwarting a Colgate clear attempt and taking the ball to the net before shooting past Jarolimek for the game-winner.

The Big Red will return to action Saturday, Mar. 8, when it travels to Hofstra for a 1:30 contest.