Cornell vs. Dartmouth
April 17, 2004
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. -- On a day when Cornell honored legendary former coach Ned Harkness, the No. 11 Big Red men's lacrosse team gutted out a 12-11 victory over No. 19 Dartmouth that the old ball coach had to have been proud of. Junior Sean Greenhalgh scored off a rebound with four seconds to play to help the Big Red shock the Big Green on Saturday afternoon at Schoellkopf Field.

Greenhalgh scooped up a saved shot four yards in front of the goal and deposited the game-winner into the right corner in what proved to be a back-and-forth contest. The score was his third of the game and moved him into sixth place on Cornell's all-time goal scoring list with 94, surpassing Big Red greats Tom and Bill Marino and Eamon McEneaney. Greenhalgh added an assist in the win.

Harkness was honored in a postgame ceremony, recognizing his efforts in leading the Big Red to a 35-1 record and the program's first two Ivy League championships in three seasons (1966-68). He may be even better known as the head coach of Cornell's hockey squads from 1963-70, recording a 163-27-2 mark with two national titles and the only unbeaten, untied season in the modern history of NCAA hockey.

Kevin Nee and Justin Redd scored three goals apiece, while Nee also tallied a pair of assists. Andrew Collins and Dave Pittard each were credited with a goal and two helpers. Matt McGonagle (eight saves) and Brandon Ross (three saves) combined for the victory in goal.

Tom Daniels had two goals and two assists to lead the Big Green attack with Ryan Danehy scoring three times. Brad Heritage (two goals, assist) and Ben Grinnell (goal, two assists) both notched three points in the loss. Andrew Goldstein made nine saves while playing all 60 minutes in goal. The loss spoiled the return of first-year Dartmouth head coach Bill Wilson, who served as an assistant under Cornell head coach Jeff Tambroni last year.

Dartmouth was the aggressor early, winning the first four face-offs and scoring 20 seconds into the period to set the tone. Cornell came back to take the lead at 3-2 with three scores in a span of 4:16, but Dartmouth closed out the period with the 4-3 advantage thanks to scores by Heritage and Grinnell.

Cornell's defense was the story of the second period, holding the Big Green scoreless for 17:24 starting from the end of the first period. Cornell's offense took its cue, scoring four straight to open the period and push the lead to 7-4 before Daniels ended the Big Green's drought with a 6-yard cannon with 35 seconds to play in the half.

Much like the first period, Dartmouth came out of the locker room determined to take control of the game, and the first four face-offs and the first two scores went Dartmouth's way to tie the game at 7-7. Danehy connected on both goals, but Nee answered the second score just 22 seconds later to regain Cornell the advantage. The two teams traded goals to end the period, with Redd netting a goal on a feed from Collins with three seconds to play in the third in a well-designed set play after a Dartmouth turnover on a clear attempt.

Dartmouth took the last of its four leads with the only scores in the first nine minutes of the fourth before Redd again put Cornell back into the scoring column. Nee put Cornell back up 11-10 with 2:28 left in regulation on an extra-man score, but Dartmouth answered with a man-up goal 47 seconds later to even the game back with less than two minutes to go, setting up Greenhalgh's dramatics.

The Big Red will attempt to bolster its NCAA tournament resume when it visits No. 6 Princeton on Saturday, April 24 at 12 p.m. Princeton leads the all-time series 35-26-2, including winning the last eight meetings between the teams.