Cornell vs. Denver
March 18, 2008
The Game Story:
DALLAS Ė After a rocky start, the No. 6/7 Cornell menís lacrosse team used a 12-1 to break open a 2-2 game as it rolled to a 20-7 victory over No. 20 Denver on a rain-soaked Highland Park High School field this evening in Dallas, Texas. With the win, the Big Red improves to 4-1 on the season, while Denver falls to 3-4 overall.

In total, 10 different players scored for the Big Red, led by Ryan Hurley who registered a hat trick in the first 11 minutes of action en route to a career-high six goals. Hurley also added an assist for a personal-best seven points on the night. John Glynn registered three goals and an assist, while Chris Ritchie posted a career-high three goals. Chris Finn (two goals, one assist), Mike Corbolotti (one goal, one assist) and Tom Corbolotti (one goal, one assist) where the other multi-point scorers for the Big Red.

Denver was led by Jaime Lincolnís two goals and by the Dickinson brothers, who combined for one goal and two assists.

Complete game statistics are not available at this time.

Cornell found itself in an early 2-0 deficit thanks to back-to-back Denver goals by Lincoln and Jon Pualson, but Hurley got the Big Red out of the hole with two-straight goals to knot the game at 2-2 with 12:16 to play.

The Pioneers regained the lead off a goal by Emerson Eichler, but Ritchie responded almost immediately, starting the decisive 12-1 run after taking a pass from John Espey and finding the back of the net to give Cornell its first lead of the evening.

The Big Red made quick work of Denver after that, reeling off the next four goals in a span of 2:41, beginning with a fastbreak goal by Finn off a perfect pass by George Calvert. Hurley completed his early hat trick on the Big Redís next goal, sending a low shot past Denver goalie Austin Konkel with 5:34 showing on the clock.

Glynn put Cornell up by three goals with a rocket to the left side of the cage and Romero tallied his first goal of the season off a pass from Tom Corbolotti to make it a 7-3 game with just over four minutes to go in the first quarter.

Denver opened the scoring in the second quarter as Murray sent a skip shot past Cornell netminder Jake Myers to make it a 7-4 game.

The Big Red needed just over one minute to put three more goals on the board, starting with a brilliant play by Glynn, who stole the ball on the defensive end, raced 80 yards down the right side of the field and fired the ball past Konkel with 12:24 showing on the score board.

Cornell won the restart and Ritchie carried the ball behind the goal before finding Finn as he cut towards the cage and one-timed it into the back of the net. Seibald pushed the lead to 10-4 when he fought his way through a double-team and scored at the 11:22 mark.

Hurley had a hand in both of the Big Redís next two goals, scoring at the 9:37 mark off a pass from Finn, before feeding Glynn for a man-up goal to make it 12-4 with 8:18 remaining in the quarter.

The Pioneers replaced Konkel with Peyton Tyree and Cornell quickly welcomed him to the game as Hurley tallied a man-up goal off a pass by Mike Corbolotti with 5:12 showing on the clock. Just over one minute later, Glynn forced another Pioneer turnover and fed Tom Corbolotti, who skipped a shot past Tyree to put Cornell up by double-digits, 14-4.

John Dickinson ended the Big Red run with a man-up goal at the 2:41 mark, but Cornell responded on its very next possession as Ritchie sent the Big Red into halftime with the 15-5 lead.

A great individual effort by Mike Corbolotti got Cornell on the board just over two minutes into the third quarter, before back-to-back goals just 30 seconds apart made it an 18-5 game. The first goal was the direct result of a stifling ride as the Big Red double-teamed Tyree to force a turnover and Ritchie scored on the open goal with 8:54 showing on the clock. Hurley tallied his sixth and final goal of the evening, scoring a man-up tally off a pass from Mike Corbolotti.

Ilija Gajic broke the scoreless drought for the Pioneers, beating Myers with 7:46 remaining in the quarter to make it an 18-6 game.

Shortly after the Denver goal, Coach Tambroni began to substitute liberally, beginning with Texas native Drew Webb, who promptly fed Kyle Doctor, who scored at the 5:57 mark to give Cornell a 19-6 lead.

The Big Red started the fourth quarter with back-to-back penalties and managed to kill the first before allowing a goal by Lincoln on the second attempt to make it 19-7 with 13:43 remaining in the contest.

It took nearly five minutes for Cornell to respond before Peter Grom earned his first goal of the season after fighting through a defender and beating Konkel, who had returned to the game at the start of the final stanza, to make it a 20-7 Big Red lead.

Neither team scored the rest of the way as Cornell took the 20-7 victory.

The Big Red returns to Ithaca this weekend and opens the Ivy League portion of its schedule as it plays host to Yale on Shoellkopf Field on Saturday, March 22 at 1 p.m.