Cornell vs. Hobart
May 6, 2005
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. - Despite a slow start, the third-ranked Cornell men's lacrosse was able to close out its regular season with its eighth straight win, doubling up long-time rival Hobart, 10-5, on Friday evening at Schoellkopf Field. The Big Red used a balanced scoring attack, getting goals from eight different players, as it improved to 10-2 on the year. The Statesmen fell to 7-7 with the loss.

The Big Red was held scoreless in the first quarter and trailed 2-0 in the early stages of the second quarter before reeling off five striaght goals, including the final four of the opening half. Hobart would get no closer than two goals the rest of the way, as Cornell went on to complete a perfect 6-0 home slate.

Playing in what might be their final home contest, seniors Sean Greenhalgh and Justin Redd scored two goals apiece. Hobart was paced by junior Mike Conklin, who recorded a pair of goals.

The Cornell defense, which forced 28 turnovers, allowed only three goals in the final 42 minutes of regulation. Sophomore goaltender Matt McMonagle made nine saves before Kyle Miller stopped the only shot he faced in the closing minutes. Hobart netminder Dan Valente recorded 12 saves on the evening.

The Big Red outshot the Statesmen 36-32, but the visitors held the exact opposite edge (36-32) in ground balls. Each team won nine faceoffs, while Cornell forced seven failed clears.

Hobart's Chris David scored the only goal in the sloppy first quarter before teammate Chris Scanlon made it a 2-0 contest on an assist from Nate Molinari at the 2:15 mark of the second quarter.

Cornell got its first goal 19:31 into the contest, when senior Kevin Nee found junior Derek Haswell outside the crease, making it a one-goal game. Greenhalgh, Nee and Redd scored the next three goals to send the home team into the locker room up 4-2. Greenhalgh scored his first goal by intercepting a clearing pass and firing and scoring from nearly 30 yards away.

Sophomore Brian Clayton opened the second-half scoring with a strong unassited effort to create the game's first three-goal lead at 5-2. Freshman Daryl Veltman got the Statesmen back to within two just over a minute later on his team-leading 28th goal of the season.

Cornell's first seven goals were scored by seven different players, as junior Joe Boulukos and senior Ian Rosenberger contiued to spread out the offensive effort with markers to push the advantage to 7-3. Conklin's first of two second-half goals cut the lead to 7-4, but Redd converted on a man-up opportunity with 10 seconds left in the third quarter for Cornell's eighth goal of the evening.

In the fourth stanza, sophomore Casey Lewis scored a highlight goal with a terrific one-handed effort just outside the right portion of the crease, giving the Big Red its largest lead of the contest at 9-4. Conklin scored with 8:41 left in regulation, but that would be all the visitors could muster, as Greenhalgh's goal with 6:26 on the clock completed the scoring.

Cornell, which will be making its third NCAA appearance in the past four years, will discover its fate in the tournament bracket when it is announced on Sunday, May 8, on ESPNNEWS between 9:30 and 10 p.m. The Big Red has hopes of earning a first-round home game for the second straight year.