Cornell vs. Pennsylvania
March 28, 2009
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. - The No. 3/4 Cornell University men's lacrosse team used a seven-goal second quarter to separate itself from a pesky Penn squad before rolling to the 21-11 victory over the Quakers this afternoon on Schoellkopf Field. The 21 goals are the most scored by the Big Red during head coach Jeff Tambroniís tenure, and are the most since Cornell beat Canisius, 23-2, on May 2, 1998. With the win, the Big Red improves to 6-1 overall and 2-0 in the conference.

Cornell was led by Ryan Hurley with five goals and one assist for a season-high six points, while Chris Finn scored twice and handed out three assists. Max Seibald and Roy Lang scored two goals and had one assist apiece, while Rob Pannell scored once and handed out one assist. In goal, Kyle Harer made six saves and allowed nine goals in 45 minutes to earn the win, before Jake Myers and Mat Martinez combined for two saves and two goals in the final 15 minutes of action.

Penn (1-6, 0-3) was led by Craig Andrzejewski with three goals and one assist, while Drew Collins scored twice. The only other Quaker with a mulit-point game was Corey Winkoff with one goal and one assist. Between the pipes, Joe Hegenen made just six saves and allowed 12 goals in the first half, before Greg Murray closed the game with seven saves and nine goals-against.

Cornell held the advantage in shots (44-31) and ground balls (44-36), but the Quakers won 21-of-35 face-offs, with Pennís Justin Lynch taking 18-of-31 restarts. The Big Red utilized five different face-off men in the contest, with Seibald winning 8-of-17.

Both teams registered a man-up goal, with Cornell scoring on 4-of-5 opportunities, while Penn went 1-for-2.

The Big Red jumped out to an early lead as George Calvert scored off a pass from Finn, before Finn converted an unassisted goal to make it 2-0 at the 9:47 mark. Less than 40 seconds later, Pannell tallied an unassisted goal to make it a 3-0 game.

Andrzejewski scored three times, sandwiched around a goal from Hurley, as Penn used a 3-1 scoring run to make it a 4-3 game with 3:25 to go in the opening quarter. Finn gave Cornell some breathing room, scoring of a pass from Rocco Romero with just 33 seconds left in the quarter, but a Quaker goal by Morgan Griff in the closing seconds, followed by a goal from Collins at the start of the second quarter made it a 5-5 game.

The Big Red scored the next seven goals to go up 12-5 with 1:26 to play before halftime. During the run, Cornell received two goals from both Romero and Lang, as well as a tally by Kyle Doctor, Chris Ritchie and Mitch McMichael.

Following McMichaelís goal, Lynch won the restart and went the distance to make it a 12-6 game at the intermission.

Hurley wasted little time in the third quarter, scoring just 34 seconds in before back-to-back goals by Seibald pushed the Big Redís lead to 15-6 at the 10:23 mark.

Penn used another 3-1 mini-run over a four minute span late in the third quarter to make it a 16-9 game, but two goals by Hurley in the final three minutes gave Cornell an 18-9 lead at the end of the third quarter.

The final 15 minutes saw whole-sale substitutions by the Big Red, but Cornell still won the quarter by outscoring Penn, 3-2. After Garvey Heiderman scored just 25 seconds into the stanza Doctor found the back of the net off a pass by Lang. Less than a minute later, David Lau got on the score sheet. Jesse Gamble then earned his first goal of the season, scoring off a pass by Jon Thomson.

Pennís Dan Savage found the back of the net with 47 seconds left in the contest to account for the 21-11 final.

Cornell is back in action next weekend as it plays host to No. 11/13 Harvard on Saturday, April 4 at 1 p.m.