Cornell vs. Pennsylvania
April 2, 2005
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. - After a sluggish start, the Cornell men's lacrosse team broke open a tight contest, outscoring Penn 9-1 after halftime, to top the Quakers 15-6 on Saturday afternoon on a rainy Schoellkopf Field. The 10th-ranked Big Red improves to 4-2 with the win (2-0 Ivy), while Penn slipped to 1-7 (0-3 Ivy). Sophomore goalkeeper Matt McMonagle posted 17 saves and was helped out by a balanced offense that saw four players record hat tricks. Senior Justin Redd and junior Joe Bouluoks each had a five-point day with three goals and two assists, helping Cornell avenge its only Ivy loss from the 2004 campaign.

Penn jumped out to an early 3-0 lead, but that would be as good as it would get for the Quakers. Cornell tied the game at 3-3, then again at 4-4 before going into the break with a 6-5 edge. The second half opened much differently than the first as Cornell spanned the third and fourth quarters with seven straight goals before the Quakers dented the scoreboard with 4:36 remaining.

While the faceoff and special team units had been struggling as of recent for the Big Red, those areas showed marked improvement today. Senior faceoff specialist J.D. Nelson earned wins on 15 of his 21 attempts and the man-up crew converted on both of its chances. Penn scored one extra-man goal on three opportunities. Cornell outshot Penn 35-33 and held a 35-27 advantage on ground balls. The Big Red ride forced four failed clears by Penn and went 22-of-24 on clears of its own.

Senior Sean Greenhalgh recorded three goals, including back-to-back tallies late in the first half that gave the Big Red its first lead of the day. He capped his hat trick with a highlight-reel goal, which opened the third-quarter scoring and gave Cornell its first multi-goal lead of the contest. In one smooth motion, the senior picked up a rebound in front of the crease and flung the ball behind his back and into the cage. Fellow attackman and classmate Kevin Nee scored three goals and was credited with an assist on Greenhalgh's second marker.

Junior D.J. Andrzejewski, who tallied two goals and two assists for the Quakers, scored the first goal of the game at the 2:13 mark, when he picked up a rebound along the left side and found the back of the net. Sophomore David Cornbrooks kept the momentum in Penn's direction with back-to-back goals, the first on an assist by Andrzejewski, pushing the lead to 3-0.

Boulukos got the Big Red on the board with 6:21 left in the first quarter when he dodged along the left side before firing a shot past Penn netminder Denis Cole, who made nine saves in just over 56 minutes of action. Redd's first goal of the contest was a bit fluky, as his point-blank pass attempt never reached the stick of junior Derek Haswell and instead, it found its way into the net. Cornell erased its early deficit two minutes into the second quarter when Boulukos found Nee along the right side for his first tally of the game.

An unassisted effort from Andrzewski gave Penn the lead back at 4-3, but it would be the visitors' final advantage of the afternoon, as Greenhalgh scored two goals from difficult angles along the right side in a span of 34 seconds to give the home squad its first lead at 5-4. Andrzewski assisted on a goal by Patrick Rogers with 1:39 left before intermission to make it a 5-5 affair, but Boulukos ensured that the Red would enter its locker room with a halftime lead with he scored off a feed from Brian Clayton with just 19 seconds showing on the clock.

The goal from Boulukos started a string of eight consecutive goals by Cornell, as it shut out the Quakers 4-0 in the third quarter before scoring the first three goals of the fourth quarter. After Greenhalgh's spectacular goal made gave Cornell a 7-5 edge early in the third, senior Ian Rosenberger scored his first goal this season on a pass from freshman John Glynn, who earned the first point of his collegiate career.

The Big Red capped the run with five more goals, including two each from Nee and Redd, who both scored on extra-man situations, to up its lead to 13-5 with five minutes left in regulation. Cornbrooks ended Penn's scoring drought of over 27 minutes when he finished of his hat trick at the 10:34 mark of the final quarter. Cornell tacked two more goals onto its total in the final three minutes, as sophomore David Mitchell scored on classmate Henry Bartlett's second assist of the day before freshman Drew Webb dodged along the left side before scoring his first collegiate goal.

Senior Kyle Miller invaded the Big Red cage for the final 2:43 of regulation and recorded three saves.

Cornell will return to action on Saturday, April 9, when it plays host to Harvard for a 1 p.m. Ivy contest. Last season, the Big Red posted a thrilling 9-8 overtime victory over the Crimson in Cambridge.