Cornell vs. Stony Brook
March 13, 2004
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. - The Cornell men's lacrosse team overcame a slow start with a strong third quarter, breaking open a halftime deadlock to post a 9-5 win over Stony Brook in the Big Red's home opener at Schoellkopf Field on Saturday afternoon. Junior Sean Greenhalgh posted a hat trick for Cornell, which improves to 2-1 on the year, while the Seawolves, which fall to 0-3, got three goals from Jason Cappadoro.

Down 2-1 in the final minute of the opening half, Cornell used a goal from junior Kevin Nee with 23 seconds left before the break to enter the half tied at 2. The Big Red outscored the Seawolves 5-2 in the decisive third quarter and held on to win its sixth consecutive season opener. Senior Scott Raasch won 12 of his 17 faceoffs on the day to help the Big Red gain possession at key points during the game.

Cornell won the opening faceoff and used a pair of crisp passes to get senior Andrew Collins a great look just left of the cage, but his shot was denied by freshman goaltender Brendan Callahan, who was making his first collegiate start. The Big Red offense struggled throughout the opening quarter, but recorded the first goal of the afternoon when Greenhalgh found the back of the net on an assist from Collins with 13 seconds left before the second quarter.

Stony Brook wasted little time to tie the game, as George LaFlare registered an unassisted goal 1:41 into the second quarter. The Seawoves, who got some key stops from Callahan in the first half, took advantage of the Big Red's slow start and took the lead with 1:54 left before the half on Cappadoro's first goal of the day.

Nee's equalizer before the break helped give the Red some momentum heading into the second half, as the home team scored twice in the first five minutes to take its first two-goal lead. Greenhalgh scored on an assist from senior defender Tim DeBlois and sophomore Joe Boulukos recorded an unassisted man-down goal towards the tail end of teammate Casey Stevenson's slashing penalty.

Under a minute later, Cappadoro cut the deficit to 4-3 with a nifty unassisted goal, coming around the back side of the goal before firing from the left side. Greenhalgh answered right back with an incredible goal off a tough angle after taking a pass from senior Mike Riordan, bumping the lead to 5-3.

After Adam Marksberry made it 5-4 contest with a goal off an assist from Matthew O'Connor with 5:13 left in the third, Cornell began a stretch of three consecutive goals to take its largest lead of the day at 8-4. Boulukos scored his second goal of the day and sophomore Derek Haswell used a nice set-up pass by Collins to score his first career goal to close out the third-quarter scoring. Just over a minute into the final quarter, Boulukos had his shot saved by Callahan, but collected the ground ball off the rebound and found Nee, who registered his second goal of the afternoon.

The Cornell offense was only able to score once more on the afternoon, but the Big Red defense, led by freshman goaltender Matt McMonagle was strong for the remainder of the day. Cappodoro completed his hat trick with just under four minutes left in regulation and Riordan scored for the first time this season with the day's final tally.

McMonagle made six of his career-high 14 saves in the final quarter, while Callahan stopped 13 Cornell shots. The Big Red outshot the Seawoves by a 35- 32 margin, and used 15 fourth-quarter ground balls to hold a 33-21 lead in that department.

The Big Red will return to action Tuesday, March 16, when it plays host to another America East team, Binghamton, in a 4 p.m. contest.