Cornell vs. Syracuse
April 13, 2010
The Game Story:

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Syracuse's Chris Daniello scooped up a ground ball off a save and fired it into the goal as time expired to give the second-ranked Orange an 8-7 comeback win over No. 10 Cornell on Tuesday evening at Schoellkopf Field. Syracuse improved to 9-1 with the victory, while the Big Red slipped to 8-3.

Daniello picked up a loose ball after Cornell freshman goalkeeper A.J. Fiore made his 20th save on a point-blank shot by Cody Jamieson and fired the ball over Fiore's shoulder with no time left on the clock. The Cornell coaching staff argued in vain that the shot came late, but Syracuse players piled onto the field to celebrate. SU rallied from a two-goal fourth quarter deficit by scoring the last three goals in picking up the win.

Fiore was outstanding, making saves on all type of shots from all angles, ending the day with a career-high 20 stops and three ground balls. Rob Pannell had three assists on the evening, while David Lau and Roy Lang each scored twice. Ryan Hurley extended his point streak to 43 games by opening the Big Red's scoring with a goal.

Daniello had three goals to lead the Orange, including the game-winner, while Jamieson had two goals and an assist. Jovan Miller also had a goal and an assist, as well as eight ground balls. Joel White notched nine ground balls and three caused turnovers. SU held a decisive 45-25 edge on the ground and outshot the home team 40-20 while winning 12-of-18 face-offs. Syracuse also scored on both of its extra-man opportunities and forced seven Big Red turnovers in clearing situations.

What the Big Red did have was Fiore. The high school All-American from Ithaca made 14 saves in the middle two periods to keep the home team in the contest and leading for much of the contest. Cornell took the lead with 8:50 left in the second period and didn't relinquish it until Daniello's score to win the game.

The Orange got on the board early in the first quarter when Max Bartig scored off a pass from Miller to go up, 1-0, with 10:27 showing on the clock.

Just over five minutes later, Hurley knotted the game at 1-1 after a prolonged Cornell offensive possession, as he rolled around the goal and bounced a shot past Galloway, despite being knocked to the ground by a Syracuse defender.

Syracuse regained the lead when a shot by White went wide of the goal, but Jamieson picked up the loose ball before it reached the endline and found Daniello all alone in front of the net and Daniello beat Fiore down low.

Pannell and Lang teamed up to tie the score at 2-2 with 9:52 to play in the second quarter. Pannell, who was set up behind the net, found Lang as he cut to the goal and one-timed it into the goal. Less than one minute later, Lau gave Cornell its first lead of the game, 3-2, on a great individual effort.

Despite numerous chances by both teams, the respective defenses held and the Big Red took the 3-2 lead into the half.

Syracuse held the ball for the first three minutes of the third quarter, but a save by Fiore and caused turnover by Pierce Derkac kept the Orange off the board before Chris Ritchie put Cornell up, 4-2, at the 11:52 mark.

Just over one minute later Jamieson made it a one-goal game when he scored from point-blank range off a pass from Jeff Gilbert.

Cornell won the ensuing face-off, but a turnover deep in the Syracuse end gave the ball back to the Orange. Syracuse couldn’t capitalize, however, as Fiore came up with another big save and sent the ball the other way.

The teams battled back and forth before the Orange scored on a man-up opportunity when a shot by Tim Desko was saved by Fiore, but he couldn’t control the rebound and Jamieson was there to capitalize, getting the groundball and finding the back of the net.

The Big Red regained the lead on a man-up goal of its own as Lang scored off a pass from Pannell with just over two minutes to go in the third period.

The goalies traded saves in the opening moments of the final stanza but a brilliant pass from Pannell gave Cornell a two-goal lead as he found Gillum cutting through traffic in front of the net and the freshmen midfielder converted.

Moments later a stellar individual effort by Daniello made it a one-goal game when he wrapped around the goal and beat Fiore down low.

A nearly identical play on the other end by Lau returned the two-goal lead to the Big Red with just over nine minutes remaining.

Miller responded on Syracuse’s next possession as he beat his defender and ripped a high shot past Fiore to make it a 7-6 game with 8:03 to play.

The Orange won the restart but saw another long offensive possession come to an end as the result of a Jamieson penalty at the 6:46 mark. A Galloway save ended the Cornell threat and a Big Red penalty allowed Syracuse to tie the game at 7-7 when Tim Desko scored with 4:59 to play.

Syracuse regained the ball on the ensuing face-off, but an outstanding defensive effort gave the Big Red the ball with 2:50 remaining in the contest.

Cornell attempted to run the clock down but John Lade caused a turnover with 34 seconds remaining in the contest to set up Daniello’s heroics.

The Big Red will enjoy a well-deserved weekend off before returning to action against Brown on Saturday, April 14 at Schoellkopf Field. Face-off is slated for 1 p.m.