Cornell vs. Virginia
May 21, 2011
The Game Story:
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Cornell jumped out to a 4-1 lead early, but a nine-goal Virginia run to end the first half allowed the Cavaliers to pull away and Cornell was never able to mount a run after the break in a 13-9 UVA victory on Saturday afternoon at Hofstra's James H. Shuart Stadium in the NCAA quarterfinals. The win made Virginia's head coach Dom Starsia the NCAA career leader in victories (327) and sent the No. 7 seed Cavaliers into the national semifinals for the fourth consecutive year.

The Ivy League champion Big Red had their season end just shy of the NCAA semifinals for the first time in three seasons. Cornell finished the season with a 14-3 record.

Steve Mock scored four goals and Tewaaraton Trophy finalist Rob Pannell had three goals. David Lau was credited with three assists and Roy Lang notched a goal, an assist and six ground balls in the defeat. Jason Noble and Thomas Keith each had two ground balls and two caused turnovers, while freshman Doug Tesoriero won 15-of-24 face-offs with seven ground balls and chipped in an assist. AJ Fiore made eight saves in goal for the Big Red.

Steele Stanwick had three goals and four assists in the win, while Chris Bocklet finished with three scores and goalkeeper Adam Ghitelman made it hold up with 13 saves. Nick O'Reily notched two goals and an assist in the victory.

For the first 11 minutes, Cornell settled in well in taking a 4-1 advantage. The Big Red got on the board less than two minutes in with Pannell picking up a loose ball on the ride and immediately going to goal, scoring an easy one to put the Big Red up 1-0 1:56 into the contest. Chris Bocklet got Virginia even a minute later with a rocket shot over Fiore's shoulder.

The Big Red went on a 3-0 run to seemingly take control at 4-1. Mock scored on a feed from Lau on the crease and the sophomore buried it. Chris Langton then found himself wide open from 10 yards away and his rocket shot beat Ghittelman to put Cornell up 3-1 with 8:40 on the clock. A ground ball win led to a rush by the Big Red offense. Dudley brought the ball in from midfield and found Mock cutting to the cage to make it 4-1 with four minutes to play.

From there, it was all Virginia over the final 19 minutes of the half.

It started innocently with two consecutive goals to end the first quarter, getting the Cavaliers back to within one at 4-3.

An amazing second quarter on both sides of the field was the decisive time for Virginia, who outscored the Big Red 7-0 over the second 15 minutes. Stanwick took over and had a hand in five of the seven goals with one score and four assists in the period. By the time it was over, a shell-shocked Big Red trailed by six heading into the break.

Cornell scored three of the four goals in the third to get back within four, including a momentum-changing goal by Mock answering the Cavaliers' only score of the quarter. Tesoriero, who was outstanding in the face off circle all day, won the restart cleanly and found the attackman all alone on the crease for an easy shot. Pannell then scored with just under two minutes remaining in the third to make it 11-7.

The Big Red controlled the fourth in desperation mode, outshooting Virginia 14-4, but could never make that final push. Cornell got within three at 12-9 with just over a minute to play on Mock's fourth score, but Virginia won the ensuing face-off. An empty net goal by Stanwick on a restart put the game away with 48 seconds to play.