Cornell vs. Binghamton
March 25, 2008
The Game Story:
ITHACA, N.Y. – The No. 6/8 Cornell University men’s lacrosse team used five unanswered goals in the opening quarter of play to go up early and then held Binghamton scoreless for over 34 minutes late, as it defeated the Bearcats, 12-5, this afternoon on Schoellkopf Field. With the win, the Big Red improves to 6-1 overall, while the Bearcats fall to 2-3 on the season.

“I felt that early on, in the first 15 to 20 minutes, we were very working hard but we still aren’t getting some of the same results that we had last year,” said head coach Jeff Tambroni. “It’s a work in progress … so we’re happy just to be getting wins.”

Ryan Hurley continued his hot streak, scoring a game-high four goals, while Chris Ritchie also posted four points on two goals and two assists. John Espey had three points (one goal, two assists) and Kyle Doctor scored twice and added an assist late in the game for three points. Chris Finn was the only other mutli-point scorer, as he found the back of the net two times.

Jake Boyce and Chris Mulheron registered two goals apiece for Binghamton with Boyce adding an assist for a team-high three points.

In goal, Jake Myers made six saves in 45:57, including several impressive saves in the first quarter to help keep the Bearcats scoreless. Mat Martinez came on in relief with 14:03 left in the contest and made two saves, while allowing one goal. For Binghamton, Larry Kline kept the visitors in the game with 10 saves in 56:25 before Jeff Walker made an appearance but did not face a shot.

Cornell outshot Binghamton (39-19) and held the slim advantage in ground balls (33-32). The Big Red also won 11-of-20 face-offs, thanks mostly to Tommy Schmicker, who took 10-of-17 restarts. The home team also converted 1-of-2 extra-man opportunities, while holding Binghamton to 0-of-5 in man-up situations.

Ritchie started the scoring for the Big Red as he circled around the front of the goal, received a pass from Glynn, turned and faked high before beating the Kline low to make it an early 1-0 lead.

Two minutes later, Espey made it 2-0 as he took the ball at midfield, sprinted up the left side of the goal and beat Kline up high.

The Binghamton defense slowed Cornell down for the next eight minutes, but the Big Red goals came fast and furious in the closing minutes of the first period, starting with a tally from Ritchie, who picked up a rebound off a shot that hit the post and buried the ball in the back of the net to make it 3-0 with 3:38 to play in the quarter.

Ritchie had a hand in Cornell’s next goal just 58 seconds later when he threaded a pass between two Binghamton defenders and hit Hurley, who one-timed it into the net.

Cornell’s final goal of the quarter came shortly after the Bearcats killed a man-up when Finn converted off a pass from Espey.

Boyce struck first in the second quarter after a Cornell turnover led to a transition goal at the 12:04 mark.

The tally was one of four by the Bearcats in the second quarter as they made it a 7-4 game at the 5:20 mark, but a late score by Finn who converted a pass by Ritchie, sent Cornell into the intermission with the 8-4 lead. The Big Red’s other two goals in the period came from Max Seibald, who blasted a shot into the top of the net, and Hurley, who scored off a pass from Tom Corbolotti.

“We did not protect our goalie very well in the second quarter,” said Tambroni. “But Coach DeLuca and the defense made some good adjustments for the second half.”

The Big Red outscored the visitors 4-1 in the second half of play, starting with a putback goal from Hurley, who picked up a rebound of a saved shot by Ritchie and buried it in the back of the net at the 12:23 mark.

Neither team scored again for over 12 minutes before back-to-back goals by Doctor in the final 15 seconds of the quarter stretched the Cornell lead to 11-4.

Hurley tallied the final goal of the day for the Big Red with 8:56 remaining in the game, before Chris Welch ended a 34:03 scoreless streak for Binghamton with a 10-yard rocket with 1:17 remaining in the game to account for the 12-5 final.

Cornell is back in action this weekend as it travels to Philadelphia to take on Penn at Franklin Field on Saturday, March 29 at noon.