Dartmouth vs. Brown
April 23, 2005
The Game Story:
HANOVER, N.H. - Senior captain Ben Grinnell (Waccabuc, N.Y.) scored three goals, including the gamewinner with less than four minutes left, as the No. 11 Dartmouth men's lacrosse team earned an 11-9 victory over No. 18 Brown on Saturday afternoon at Scully-Fahey Field. The win helps the Big Green remain in second place in the Ivy League at 3-1 and improves Dartmouth's overall mark to 7-3. Brown falls to 3-2 in Ivy play and 7-3 overall.

Sophomore Nick Bonacci (Crofton, Md.) had two first period goals to help stake the Big Green to an early 3-1 lead. After a holding penalty on Dartmouth, the Bears' converted an extra man opportunity when Dave Madeira scored the second of his team-high four goals. Alex Buckley tallied three minutes later to even the score at 3-3.

Ryan Danehy (N. Billerica, Mass.) answered for Dartmouth, but Brown scored the next three goals, including two more by Madeira, to take a 6-4 lead. Grinnell got one back to cut the deficit to 6-5 at the half.

Following a Brown penalty, junior Alec Hufnagel (Scarsdale, N.Y.) tied the game early in the third period. Chris Mucciolo scored on a behind the back shot to the lower left corner to help the Bears take the lead back, but Grinnell tallied with 50 seconds left in the period to even the score at 7-7.

The Bears would not go away, however, and regained the lead on Buckley's goal in an extra man situation. Junior Jamie Coffin (Greenwich, Conn.) scored 41 seconds later to tie the game at 8-8, but Brown answered again. Chazz Woodson gave the Bears their final lead of the game with 7:55 left.

Senior Lucas Robertson (W. Roxbury, Mass) evened the score with 4:28 remaining before Grinnell tallied the eventual gamewinner at the 3:47 mark. The Big Green used sound clock management down the stretch and Danehy added an insurance goal with 56 seconds left to lift the Green to victory.

Dartmouth's Andrew Goldstein (Milton, Mass.) made 10 saves, while Brown's Nick Gentilesco stopped 13 shots.