Dartmouth vs. Cornell
April 11, 2009
The Game Story:
HANOVER, N.H. - Third-ranked Cornell outscored the Dartmouth menís lacrosse team 6-1 in the open quarter and never looked back as the Big Green dropped its fourth Ivy League contest with a 19-6 loss to the Big Red on Saturday afternoon at Scully-Fahey Field.

Dartmouth (3-8, 0-3 Ivy) had six different goal scorers, led by junior Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.) who posted three points on a goal and two assists. Senior captain Brian Koch (Rye, N.Y.) chipped in with a goal and an assist, while fellow senior captain Jonathan Livadas (Wilmington, Del.) scored a goal in his first game back since the season-opener at Hartford. Freshman Fergus Campbell (New Canaan, Conn.) got his sixth-straight start in net for the Big Green and made seven stops, including four in the final quarter.

Cornell (8-2, 4-0 Ivy) got two or more goals from four different players, including John Glynn who recorded a game-high five goals. Ryan Hurley added three tallies and an assist for four points, while Rob Pannell registered a game-high six points with two goals and four assists. Chris Finn was the fourth member to reach two goals. The Big Red had three netminders play during the game, but the win went to Jake Myers, who got the start and made three saves in the first half.

Cornell jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead in the first 12 minutes of the opening quarter. Glynn added the first two of the game and he was followed by Finn and Pannell. Dartmouth got on the board with 2:06 remaining as Sussman posted his ninth of the year to make it 4-1. The Big Red then reeled off six consecutive scores to go up 10-1 midway through the second quarter. Glynn once again led the way with two goals in the stretch, while Pannell and Hurley netted a goal apiece.

Sophomore Rhett Miller (Dallas, Texas) netted the Big Greenís second goal of the game, coming with 9:34 left in the half to make it 10-2. Hurley came back and scored his second of the game with 8:30 remaining and senior Jimmy Mullen (Mt. Lebanon, Pa.) fought back with his 13th of the year to cut the lead to 11-3. Cornell closed out the half with a pair of goals in the final six minutes as George Calvert and David Lua posted a goal each and at the half it was 13-3 in favor of the Big Red.

Dartmouth got some life in the second half with back-to-back goals from junior Josh Gillam (Peterborough, Ont.) and Livadas to make it 13-5 with the Livadas goal coming in a man-up situation. However that was the closest Dartmouth got as the Big Red went on another scoring run with six goals over the next 15 minutes, two of which were man-up goals. Koch closed out the scoring for the game with his 18th of the year with 5:06 left in the contest as the Big Green fell 19-6 in the Ivy League action.

Dartmouth had trouble all afternoon in two categories. The Big Green dropped 20-of-28 face-offs to the Big Red and allowed Cornell to score three man-up goals in four chances. Dartmouth had three man advantage opportunities, but could only capitalize on one chance. Cornell actually made more turnovers than the Big Green as Dartmouth had 17 turnovers to the Big Redís 22.

The Big Green will be back in action this coming Wednesday as Dartmouth heads to Yale for a 7 p.m. face-off in Ivy League play.