Dartmouth vs. Harvard
May 2, 2009
The Game Story:
HANOVER, N.H. - The Dartmouth menís lacrosse team had a lead at halftime, but Harvard fought back and outscored the Big Green 5-1 in the second half to beat Dartmouth, 8-5, on Senior Day at Scully-Fahey Field.

The Big Green (4-11, 1-5 Ivy) was led by senior captain Brian Koch (Rye, N.Y.) who posted two goals and an assist for three points in his final game in a Dartmouth uniform. Junior Josh Gillam (Peterborough, Ont.) also contributed two scores, while sophomore Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.) added a team-high two assists. Senior Pat Marshall (Lutherville, Md.) got the start in net and made eight saves in the loss.

Harvard (8-5, 3-3 Ivy) got a game-high three goals from Jeff Cohen and both Max Motschwiller and Dean Gibbons added a pair apiece. Terry White had a team-high two helpers and goaltender Joe Pike earned the win with 11 saves on the afternoon.

Dartmouth got on the board first on a goal by Gillam 3:28 into the quarter. He received a pass from Sussman from behind the net and Gillam ripped a low-liner that Pike got a piece of but cannot stop the ball from crossing into the cage.

With 8:14 left in the quarter, it was Kochís turn to find the net from deep. Koch caught a Tim Daniels (Duxbury, Mass.) pass that came from the back of the net and Koch copied Gillam and went low on Pike for the score to make it 2-0.

Harvard earned its first goal of the game with 1:36 left in the quarter as Motschwiller got the Crimson on the board with an unassisted goal. Harvard was having trouble breaking the Dartmouth defense until Motschwiller got free and beat Marshall top corner. About a minute later, Cohen buried his first of the game to tie the game at 2-2 with the assist going to White.

Gillam gave Dartmouth the lead again with 1:36 into the second quarter with his second goal of the game to make it 3-2. Koch was credited with the assist for his second point of the afternoon. Koch increased the lead to two at 4-2 with his second of the game and first on the Big Greenís first man-up opportunity.

Harvard cut the lead back down to one at 4-3 with less than eight minutes remaining in the half on Cohenís second of the game. He hooked up with White again for the score.

The Crimson came out in the second half and tied the game at 4-4 in the first minute. Travis Burr was given the goal with assist going to Motschwiller. Motschwiller found a streaking Burr and he beat Marshall with a low bouncing shot. Harvard fired back again with 11:41 remaining in the third as Cohen added his third of the game to give the Crimson its first lead of the game at 5-4.

Harvard pushed it to 6-4 with 9:18 remaining in the third quarter on a man-up goal by Gibbons. The Crimson was able to capitalize on its first extra-man chance.

Gibbons added his second of the game with 1:25 left, which ended an eight-minute scoreless battle in the third quarter. Burr was credited with the assist and he found Gibbons, who spun around in the air and beat Marshall to the top corner.

Dartmouth cut the lead to 7-5 with 6:47 remaining in the game on Millerís first of the afternoon. Miller received a nice pass from Christopher Root (Houston, Texas) and he beat Pike for the score. The two-goal deficit for Dartmouth was back to three goals as Harvard made it 8-5 with 4:52 left on Motschwillerís second of the game.

Harvard posted a slim 27-26 shot advantage over Dartmouth and the Crimson won 11 of the 17 face-offs on the afternooon. The Big Green capitalized on one extra man opportunity in four chaces, while Harvard scored on its lone chance.

The Dartmouth menís lacrosse team honored 12 seniors on Saturday. The group included: captain Tim Daniels, captain Jonathan Livadas, captain Brian Koch, captain Doug Rendall, Martin Bernstein, Philip Killian, Kyle Lagratta, Pat Marshall, John Mattimore, Tim McVeigh, Jimmy Mullen and Ted Newhouse.