Dartmouth vs. Holy Cross
March 9, 2010
The Game Story:
HANOVER, NH - The Dartmouth men's lacrosse team fell behind in the second quarter by three goals and never made up the difference as the Big Green dropped its home opener to Holy Cross, 13-8, on Tuesday.

Dartmouth (1-1) got a career-high three goals from junior Joshua Etzion (Boca Raton, Fla.), while senior captain Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.) chipped in with three goals and two assists for five points. Two of the goals for Etzion came during man-up situations. Junior Rhett Miller (Dallas, Texas) netted a goal, as did freshman Chris Costabile (Sykesville, Md.). Senior Michael Novosel (Somers, N.Y.) pushed aside 10 shots for the Big Green in the loss.

Holy Cross (1-4) saw a great day from Chris Smirti as he posted five goals, while Edison Parzanese had a game-high six points on three goals and three assists. The Crusaders had seven different goal scorers on the afternoon. Goaltender Connor Sweeney was impressive in net with 11 saves to earn his first win of the season.

The first quarter was low-scoring with Parzanese getting Holy Cross on the board first with 10:16 remaining on his fourth of the year. Colin McGeehin was credited with one of his two assists on the day. Etzion got Dartmouth back on track with a nice move from behind the cage that surprised Sweeney to tie the game at 1-1 with 7:16 left.

The second frame belonged to the Crusaders. Holy Cross recorded a 3-1 advantage in the quarter and took a 4-2 lead into the break. Dartmouth only got four offensive possessions in the second prior to scoring a man-up goal. Two possessions were one shot and done, while the other two were halted due to an offside and a turnover. The Crusaders took control of the contest with goals from Colin Flood, Smirti and Parzanese during the second quarter attack. Costabile stopped the bleeding for a short period of time with a sniper shot from the left side that beat Sweeney top corner.

Holy Cross and the Big Green traded blows early in the third as Parzanese capitalized on a man-up situation that began in the second half for the Crusaders, after Dartmouth was called for an illegal check to end the half. He made it 5-2 just 18 seconds into the frame. Etzion got the Big Green back to within two goals at 5-3 with Dartmouth's second man-up goal of the contest with Miller getting credit for the helper.

Smirti then took over the game himself with three-straight goals for the Crusaders with a tally from Sussman in between for the Big Green. Once again it was Etzion for Dartmouth that tried to stop the offensive firepower of Holy Cross with another man-up goal, but the Crusaders took a 8-5 lead into the final quarter.

Holy Cross cruised into the offensive end for the most of the quarter as the Crusaders built an 11-5 lead in the first five minutes. Dartmouth was struggling on the defensive end with blown coverages and allowing Holy Cross to cut in front of the net for open shots. The three goals to build the lead up to 11-5 came from John Hannan, James Kennedy and Kenny Minor.

Sussman and Miller tried to get the Big Green back in it with back-to-back goals to make it 11-7, but like the Crusaders did all game long, they fought back with Smirti netting his fifth of the game with six minutes left to increase the lead to 12-7. Sussman added his third with 3:07 remaining and McGeehin closed out the scoring for both teams to make it a 13-8 final.

Dartmouth led Holy Cross in most offensive categories, including shots (37-36), face-offs (14-10) and ground balls (41-38). The game was filled with turnovers as each team committed 20, while the Big Green cleared 16-of-21 and the Crusaders earned 23 clears in 30 opportunities.

Dartmouth will have no time to dread on this loss as Wagner comes to town on Thursday for another 2 p.m. start at Scully-Fahey Field.