Dartmouth vs. Lehigh
March 7, 2009
The Game Story:
HANOVER, N.H. – Lehigh used a balanced offensive attack to overcome an early deficit and pick up its first win of the 2009 season with an 11-9 victory over the Dartmouth Big Green on Saturday afternoon. Ricky Cornetta and Kyle Gentile netted two goals apiece for the Mountain Hawks, while seven other Lehigh players scored once as the Brown and White improves to 1-4 following the win. Three Dartmouth players, including Jimmy Mullen, John DeChiaro and Josh Etzion scored two goals each as the Big Green drops to 1-4.

Lehigh unleashed 41 shots for the game led by Cornetta and Cameron Lao-Gosney with ten apiece, while Will Scudder won ten-of-20 in the X and scooped up three ground balls. Three other Mountain Hawks picked up three GBs apiece, while five different Lehigh players caused a turnover. Conor Murphy got the start in goal for the Brown and White and sent back 11 shots to earn his first career victory.

The Big Green were credited with 40 shots for the game, led by Tim Daniels with eight and Mullen with six. Alex Del Baso won four-of-seven face offs, while Daniels won four-of-six and scooped up a pair of ground balls. Andy Gagel caused a pair of turnovers and Pat Marshall stopped nine shots in goal.

Dartmouth scored the game’s first four goals to take a 4-0 lead with 3:42 remaining in the opening quarter. John McNierney got Lehigh on the board for the first time with 2:35 on the clock, and Chris Lubin brought Lehigh to within 4-2 when he took a feed from Chris Linko and found the back of the net. The Mountain Hawks then scored a pair of goals in the final eight seconds, as Brian Bienemann and Gentile both scored to tie things up at four after one quarter of play.

Lao-Gosney scored Lehigh’s first goal of the second quarter with 8:22 left before halftime, which made the score 5-4. Matt Diehl then added to Lehigh’s lead when he scored off of a feed from McNierney. That gave the Mountain Hawks a 6-4 lead, which they took into halftime.

In the first two minutes of the second half, Dartmouth netted a pair of goals to tie the game at six, but junior Evan Guerrero answered the Big Green’s run with his first goal of the season to give the lead back to Lehigh at 7-6. Daniels tied the game off an assist from Ari Sussman at the 10:40 mark, but Cornetta answered for Lehigh with his first score of the day with 9:05 left in the quarter. Sussman tied the game yet again at the 6:04 mark when he netted an unassisted goal and the game remained that way for the next five minutes.

Cornetta ended the scoring drought when he scored his second goal of the day with 1:25 on the clock to give Lehigh another one goal lead at 9-8. Josh Etzion responded with a goal for the home team with 55 seconds to go, which tied the game for the fifth and final time. Scudder ended the scoring for the quarter when he netted a goal at the 49-second mark to send the teams into the fourth and final quarter with Lehigh ahead 10-9.

Gentile scored the lone goal of the final quarter off an assist from Cornetta with 7:18 left in the game and from there Lehigh’s defense took over, keeping Dartmouth off the scoreboard for the final 15 minutes of play.

Lehigh will be back in action on Tuesday evening when the Mountain Hawks play host to the nationally ranked Navy Midshipmen at the Ulrich Sports Complex. The opening face-off is set for 7:00 and all of the action will be broadcast live on Lehighsports.com.