Dartmouth vs. Princeton
April 16, 2011
The Game Story:
Tigers Tame Big Green at Gillette, 8-4
Courtesy: Dartmouth
Release: 04/16/2011

Send this article to a friend Print RSS
Share |

bullet Boxscore

Junior Fergus Campbell
View larger Photo courtesy of: John and Matt Risley
Junior Fergus Campbell

FOXBORO, MASS. — The magic the Dartmouth men's lacrosse team used to win at least years New England Lacrosse Classic did not carry over to the 2011 event with Princeton coming out on top at Gillette Stadium, 8-4. The loss dropped the Big Green to 4-7 overall and 1-3 in the Ivy League. The Tigers improved to 4-6 on the year and 2-2 in the conference.

It was in the second half, when Princeton took control and used the clock to its advantage. Princeton scored the first two goals of the third quarter to take a 4-2 lead. Dartmouth cut the lead back to one on Freshman Brandon Rotanz's (Westport, Conn.) fifth goal of the year, but the Tigers scored the final goal of the period to head into the final quarter with a 5-3 lead.

Princeton started off the fourth quarter with another goal to take a three-goal lead. Freshman Jeff Perkins (Dallas, Texas) brought the score back to within two on his 13th goal of the season, but once again the Tigers were up for the challenge and increased the lead to 7-4. Princeton added another score late in the quarter to reach the final total of 8-4.

The two teams played the first quarter at a very slow and methodical pace. The Tigers scored the only goal of the period when Luke Armour beat the Big Green's Fergus Campbell (New Canaan, Conn.) off an assist from Cliff Larkin. Dartmouth only took five shots in the first quarter compared to 16 by Princeton. It marked the first time this season Dartmouth did not score in the first quarter.

In the second, the scoring remained low, but the Big Green started to get into a rhythm on offense. Freshman Patrick Resch (Flourtown, Pa.) tied the game 4:24 into the second off an assist by junior Kip Dooley (Minneapolis, Minn.). The Tigers responded with a man-up goal five minutes later by Jeff Froccaro.

It looked like Princeton would head into halftime with a 2-1 advantage, but the Big Green had other ideas. Senior Rhett Miller (Dallas, Texas) took a shot with 25 seconds left that was saved by Tyler Fiorito, but Dooley was ready. He picked up the ground ball and fired a shot that found the back of the net and tied the game with 15 seconds remaining in the half. The two goals marked a season low in the first half for the Big Green this year, and the two goals by the Tigers tied the season low for a Big Green opponent in the first half.

The four goals in the game marked a season-low for the Big Green. The previous low was seven goals, done twice this year. Campbell made 17 saves for the third time this season, which tied a season high. His career high came last year at Gillette stadium against Cornell with 23 saves. Dooley was the only Dartmouth player with multiple points. He had two points on a goal and an assist. Princeton went 2-for-4 in man-up situations, while the Big Green went 0-for-2. The attendance for the Classic was 5,316.

Dartmouth returns to action on Tuesday, April 19, at home against Vermont. It is the first home game for the Big Green since they hosted Harvard on March 26.