Dartmouth vs. Providence
April 7, 2009
The Game Story:
HANOVER, N.H. - The Dartmouth menís lacrosse team netted five second half goals to break away from a 3-3 tie with Providence to earn an 8-4 win over the Friars in non-conference action on Tuesday afternoon.

Dartmouth (3-7) got a great effort from senior captain Brian Koch (Rye, N.Y.) as he tallied a game-high four goals to go along with an assist for five points on the afternoon. Sophomore Jack Steele (Longmeadow, Mass.) had his best game in a Big Green uniform with a career-high two goals, while junior Josh Gillam (Peterborough, Ont.) chipped in with a goal and three assists for four points. Senior Kyle Lagratta owned the face-off X against Providence, winning 12-of-15 face-offs, which led to break outs for Dartmouth. Freshman Fergus Campbell (New Canaan, Conn.) earned his second win of the season with five saves. It was the first time since he became the Big Greenís starter in net that he didnít have push aside at least 13 shots.

Providence (5-5) had trouble getting any offense started as the Friars had four different goal scorers. Robert Bryan got the start in net and posted 10 saves in the loss.

Providence got on the board first as Ryan Vermette scored his first of the season, 2:32 into the contest to give the Friars an early 1-0 lead. Dartmouth answered with 9:42 remaining on a man-up goal from Koch with the assist going to Gillam to tie the score at 1-1. For Koch, it was his team-leading 14th of the year and his fifth on the man advantage. Gillam followed his assist to give Dartmouth a 2-1 at the end of the first quarter with junior Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.) getting the assist.

Pete Wujciak knotted the score for Providence as he tallied his first of the year, 58 seconds in the second frame. Steele came back and tallied his first of the season to make it 3-2 in favor of the Big Green. Gillam assisted on the play for his second of the afternoon. The Friars fought back again as Ryan Reidl scored his first of the year, coming unassisted with 8:52 left in the half. He was the second long-stick defender to score a goal for Providence.

The second half began on a positive note for the Big Green. Lagratta won the face-off easily and sprinted into the zone. He found Sussman, who passed it along to Koch and he beat Bryan to the near post to give Dartmouth a 4-3 lead, a lead that the Big Green would not relinquish. Koch then added his third of the game and 16th of the season with 11:26 left in the third quarter and Steele pushed the lead up to 6-3 to end the quarter for the Big Green.

Providence cut the lead down to 6-4 as Danny Ryan posted his seventh of the season just under 14:00 remaining, but Koch and sophomore Rhett Miller (Dallas, Texas) added empty net goals to close out the game for Dartmouth as the Big Green earned its third victory with an 8-4, outscoring the Friars 5-1 in the second half.

Dartmouth dominated in the shot column with a 40-14 advantage and held a 38-23 margin in ground balls. The face-off X was where the Big Green made its mark today, winning 12-of-16 with all 12 wins coming from Lagratta. Dartmouth was perfect on its man-up situations with two goals in two chances, while holding Providence scoreless in two opportunities.

The Big Green will be back in action this coming Saturday as Dartmouth jumps back into Ivy League play with Cornell coming to Hanover for a 1 p.m. start at Scully-Fahey Field.