Dartmouth vs. Yale
April 16, 2008
The Game Story:
Hanover, N.H. - The Dartmouth men's lacrosse team (5-6,, 1-3 Ivy) halted a three-game losing streak with a gutsy 17-14 win over Ivy rival Yale (3-8, 0-5 Ivy) in a rare night game on Scully-Fahey Field. Enjoying a comfortable 11-5 lead midway through the third quarter the Big Green had to hold on as the Bulldogs went on a four-straight goal scoring streak, cutting Dartmouth's lead to two, 11-9 with just under three minutes to go in the period. Four Yale players had hat-tricks in the game. The Big Green spread the wealth, getting goals from 10 different players.

Dartmouth got on the board early with a goal from Jimmy Mullen (Mt. Lebanon, Pa.) and Brian Koch (Rye, N.Y.) to open the first quarter. Tyler Casertano responded with a shot off a feed from Matt Fuchs to cut the Dartmouth lead in half, 2-1. With shots virtually even in the game, with Dartmouth holding a slight 40-38 edge, the two teams traded shots on goal before the Big Green won the battle on Josh Gillam's (Peterborough, Ont.) first goal of the game with an assist from Philip Killian (Washington, D.C.) to go up 3-1. The first of eight Yale penalties led to a Koch man-up tally assisted by Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.) A Dartmouth turnover in the offensive end led to Casertano's second score of the game, once again cutting the Big Green lead in half, 4-2 to end the first period.

In the second quarter senior Will Boardman (Brattleboro, Vt.) and Casey Hingtgen (Carlsbad, Calif.) each scored the first goals of their season as Dartmouth exploded for five goals in the frame. Back to back turnovers by both teams led to a Yale timeout with :28 showing on the clock. Resuming play, Hingtgen picked up the ball with his long-stick, running the length of the field and beating George Carafides high to make it 9-4 Dartmouth at the half.

The second half was a game of contrasts. The Big Green looked to be cruising to victory, leading 11-5. Two stretches of four unanswered goals by the Bulldogs, including the final four of the game made for a close finish. On paper the game was dead even with twelve saves on each end of the field, Dartmouth held a slight lead in groundballs, 37-32. Yale scored on three of seven man-up opportunities. The Big Green responded with three of eight. The Bulldogs had seven unassisted goals to Dartmouth's nine.
Koch finished the game with four goals and an assist, extending his scoring streak to 28 games.

Next up for Dartmouth is a trip to Virginia to take on the No. 3 Cavaliers Saturday at 1:00 pm.