Delaware vs. Drexel
April 1, 2006
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE -- University of Delaware junior Dan Deckelbaum (right) scored the game-winning goal with 15 seconds remaining to lead the No. 14 Blue Hens to a 9-8 menís lacrosse victory over Drexel in Colonial Athletic Association action Saturday night at Rullo Stadium.

Delaware, which improved to 9-2 overall and 1-1 in the conference, trailed 6-5 heading into the fourth quarter but quickly tied the game with Beau Davis scored off a feed from Jordan Hall just 57 seconds into the period. Drexel, which dropped to 4-5 overall and 1-2 in the league, answered as Yoni Cohen scored an unassisted goal with 10 minutes to

However Hall scored off a pass from Cam Howard with 9:11 remaining to make it a 7-7 game and then found Davis for a goal to put Delaware on top with 4:54 to play. Drexel tied the game when Matt Musci found Adam Dennis in front of the cage for a goal with 58 seconds left, but Delaware won the ensuing faceoff and held for the final shot. Deckelbaum then fired a shot from about 15 yards out past Dragons goalkeeper Bruce Bickford for the game-winner.

Drexel won the final faceoff, but Delaware goalkeeper Tommy Scherr stopped a shot from Dennis in the final seconds as the Blue Hens held on for the victory.

Deckelbaum finished with three goals for Delaware, while Davis and Adam Zuder-Havens each added two. Hall had a goal and two assists, while Howard finished with two assists and Sean Calabrese scored once. Cohen led the Dragons with three goals, while Musci posted two goals and two assists.

Drexel dominated the first quarter, as two goals by Cohen and one by Dennis gave the Dragons a 3-0 lead after the opening period. Zuder-Havens scored off a feed from Howard to put the Blue Hens on the board, and after a goal by Calabrese, Zuder-Havens scored at the 6:34 mark to tie the game at 3-3. Greg Dougherty put the Dragons back on top with a man-up goal with 23 seconds remaining, but Deckelbaum scored with three seconds on the clock to send the teams to the half tied at four.

Musci scored off a Dougherty pass just 2:20 into the third quarter, but Deckelbaum again answered with 5:24 left to knot the game at 5-5. Musci scored an unassisted goal at the 1:30 mark gave the Dragons the lead heading in the fourth quarter before Delaware came back for the win.

Scherr finished with 13 saves in the Blue Hen cage as he improved to 9-2 on the year, while Bickford stopped 11 shots for the Dragons. Drexel held a slim 33-32 advantage in shots, while Delaware edged the Dragons 29-25 in groundballs.

The Blue Hens return to action on Saturday, April 8 travel to Sacred Heart for a 1 p.m. game.