Delaware vs. Drexel
April 9, 2008
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE -- Sophomore Curtis Dickson (at right) scored a career-high six goals, including two in the final two minutes to keep Delaware in front, as the Blue Hens held off No. 10 Drexel to win a wild Colonial Athletic Association men's lacrosse showdown by a 12-11 score Wednesday night at Rullo Stadium.

Delaware's Beau Davis broke the third tie of the game with his only score of the night with 4:28 left and the Blue Hens (8-4, 2-1 CAA) survived a frantic final two minutes to post the upset win, snap a two-game losing streak, and stay in the hunt for a second straight CAA regular season title.

League-leading Drexel (9-3, 2-1 CAA), which had won two straight and nine of its last 10 games, never held the lead outright the entire night and played catch-up all evening. The Dragons tied the game at 9-9 on Colin Ambler's only goal with 11:52 left and pulled to within a goal twice in the final minutes but could never pull ahead.

The Dragons’ only other losses this season are to nationally-ranked Virginia and Notre Dame.

Dickson, who entered the game ranked third in the nation in total goals, upped his total to 38 with a career-high six tallies and also dished out an assist while Cam Howard scored twice and dished out two assists, Martin Cahill scored twice, and J.J. Moran handed out two assists. Senior goalkeeper Tom Scherr posted 17 saves in the nets to pick up the victory.

Dickson extended his streak of scoring a goal to 21 straight games while Cahill, who upped his season goal total to 23, has scored a goal in every game this season.

Five of the last nine games in the Delaware-Drexel series have now been decided by a single goal.

Scott Perri and Greg Casey each netted hat tricks for Drexel with Andrew Chapman adding two scores and Kevin Stockel contributing a goal and two assists. Goalkeeper Bruce Bickford, who entered the game ranked second in the nation in save percentage (.644) and fifth in goals allowed average (6.64), turned back 14 shots.

The Dragons held commanding advantages of 44-34 on shots and won 18 of 27 faceoffs but couldn’t overcome 17 turnovers.

Delaware, which entered the game with a CAA-leading 81 penalties, once again played man-down much of the game as the Hens committed 11 penalties for 7:30 minutes. Fortunately, the Blue Hens allowed Drexel to score just three extra-man goals while scoring two short-handed goals of their own.

A methodical first half, which saw Delaware jump out to a 4-1 halftime lead thanks to two Dickson goals and one each by Cahill and Howard, turned into a frantic second half that saw 18 goals scored, including 10 by the Dragons.

Drexel, which outscored Delaware 6-4 in the third quarter, scored the first three goals of the second half to tie the game at 4-4 with 10:42 left, but Delaware came right back with three straight of their own, including two by Dickson, take take a 7-4 lead with 3:04 left. A wild final minute of play saw Drexel score twice, including a tally by Perry just before the horn, to narrow the deficit to 8-7.

Cahill opened the fourth quarter with a goal just two minutes in to push the Delaware lead to 9-7, but Drexel answered with goals by Perri and Ambler in a span of just 44 second to knot the score at 9-9 with 11:52 left.

Delaware took back control as Davis scored his only goal - a man-up opportunity - with 4:28 left to break the tie and Dickson caught Bickford out of the net to easily score his fifth goal of the game with 1:42 remaining, increasing the lead to 11-9.

Drexel narrowed the gap to 11-10 on Casey’s third goal of the game with 1:10 left, but Dickson struck again, racing in from 30-yards out following a timeout to score past Bickford for a 12-10 Delaware lead with 57 seconds remaining.

The Dragons refused to give up as Perri scored his third goal of the game with just 49 seconds remaining to cut the lead to 12-11.

Delaware, which struggled on faceoffs all night, found a good time to win one as Anthony Ruiz outdueled Fisher for possession and the Blue Hens held on for the win.