Delaware vs. Hofstra
April 9, 2005
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE -- Tim Treubig and John Orsen each scored three goals and goalkeeper James C. Tuohy recorded 12 saves as No. 19 Hofstra held No. 17 University of Delaware in check all night and posted a 13-3 Colonial Athletic Association men's lacrosse victory Saturday night at Rullo Stadium.

Delaware, which entered the game with the nation's No. 3 ranked scoring offense at 12.2 goals per game, suffered its lowest scoring output of the season and its lowest since a season-opening 14-3 loss to Loyola in 2000. The Hens (7-4, 2-1 CAA) had a three-game win streak snapped and lost for just the second time in the last seven games.

Hofstra, which won its second straight game following a three-game losing streak, got goals from seven different players on its way to the victory and allowed its fewest goals since an 18-2 win over Providence in 1998. The Pride got three goals each from Treubig and Orsen while John Keysor and Ryan Lucas each scored twice. Chris Unterstein added a goal and three assists while Rob Bonaguro and Athan Ianucci each recorded a goal and an assist.

Jordan Hall, Delaware's leading scorer, scored twice while Joe Trentzsch extended his goal-scoring streak to 12 games with a goal and an assist. Cam Howard had a streak of 15 straight games with a point snapped and Dave Powers was held without a goal for the first time this season. Alex Smith (right), who entered the game leading the nation in faceoff percentage at .733, won 15 of 18 faceoffs on the night.

Delaware outshot Hofstra 30-27 and won 15 of 18 faceoffs but couldn't overcome 11 penalties for nine minutes and the hot play of Tuohy, who was making on his third collegiate start. Hofstra scored two extra man goals and committed just 15 turnovers.

The Pride, which avenged a 12-10 loss to Delaware last season but downed the Hens for the sixth time in the last seven meetings, put the game away early as the they scored the first five goals of the contest, including two by Treubig, and never looked back.

Delaware scored the final two goals of the first half to cut the halftime margin to 5-2 as Hall scored with 55 seconds left in the second period and Trentzsch added another with 12 seconds left in the stanza. But Unterstein and Lucas both scored the first three minutes of the second half and Treubig tallied his third goal of the game with 5:41 left to push the lead up to 8-2. Delaware never got closer than five goals the rest of the way.

The Hens will next be in action Saturday when they travel to league-leading Villanova for a 7 p.m. game April 16.