Delaware vs. Johns Hopkins
February 22, 2011
The Game Story:
NEWARK, Del. -- The University of Delaware's first men's lacrosse setback of the season was decided quickly Tuesday evening as No. 9 ranked Johns Hopkins built a 6-1 halftime lead and produced an eight-goal explosion in the third quarter on the way to an 18-5 victory at chilly Delaware Stadium.

The No. 16 ranked Blue Hens (3-1) suffered their first setback of the season and had a seven-game home win streak snapped, enduring their most lopsided setback since an 18-4 loss to Towson during the 2002 season.

Senior midfielder John Austin (at right) led Delaware with two goals while junior Eric Smith dished out two assists and senior Nick Elsmo, senior Anthony Ruiz (bottom left), and sophomore Taylor Burns also tallied goals. Junior Grant Kaleikau, who dished out three assists in his season debut Saturday vs. Marist, was held scoreless and had his team-leading 15-game point-scoring streak snapped.

Sophomore Zach Palmer notched a career-high seven points on four goals and three assists to lead the Blue Jays (2-0) while Kyle Wharton registered his second straight hat trick with three goals and an assist, Eric Ruhl tallied three times, John Ranagan dished out three assists, and Chris Boland contributed two goals and two assists.

Athlete photoDelaware remained winless in eight all-time meetings with Johns Hopkins, which was making its first visit to Delaware Stadium since falling to North Carolina in the 1986 NCAA semifinals.

"We certainly are disappointed," said Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw, whose team committed a season-high 10 penalties. "I thought we prepared well and had a good game plan but we just didn't execute. We lost some concentration at times tonight and missed out on some fundamentals, but it is still early in the year and we will learn from this. We needed better shot placement. Our guys took too many shots instead of finding the open man."

While Delaware's shooting was off the mark, Johns Hopkins was spot on as the Blue Jays netted 18 goals on just 38 shots, scoring eight goals on 12 shots in the third quarter alone. Delaware goalkeeper Noah Fossner made seven saves, including the 400th of his career, while Hopkins netminder Pierce Bassett set the tone early with several strong first quarter saves and finished the night with 11 stops.

Johns Hopkins, coming off a 7-7 season in 2010 that saw the Blue Jays advance to the NCAA Tournament for a record 38th straight time, put the game away early as they outscored the Hens 3-0 in the first quarter on two goals by freshman Rob Guida and one from Wharton.

Delaware finally got on the board on a man-up goal by Ruiz just three minutes into the second stanza, but the Blue Jays countered with three straight goals again, getting tallies from Palmer, Wharton, and Ruhl to go up 6-1 at the break.

Johns Hopkins, whose 18 goals was the most scored against the Hens since a 19-16 setback to Stony Brook in 2008, put the game away with an explosive third quarter that saw the Blue Jays find the back of the net eight times, including four times in the first three minutes of the stanza to push the lead to 10-2.

Austin scored midway through the third quarter for the Hens, but Hopkins responded with five straight goals, including two by Palmer, to increase the margin to 16-3 early in the final quarter.

Delaware will continue action this Sunday, Feb. 27, when the Blue Hens close out their season-opening five-game homestand with a first-ever meeting with Bellarmine at 1 p.m. at Delaware Stadium.