Delaware vs. Manhattan
March 9, 2003
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE -- The University of Delaware scored eight unanswered goals to open the game and got two or more goals from five different players on the way to an 18-8 non-league men^s lacrosse victory over Manhattan College Sunday at Rullo Stadium.

Delaware, playing its home opener, won for the second straight game and improved to 3-2 on the season as junior Matt Alrich (Calvert Hall/Timonium, MD) scored three goals and freshmen Xander Ritz (Radnor/Wayne, PA) and Luke Wiles (Fogarty/Orillia, Ontario) each added two goals and two assists. R.C. Reed (Boys Latin/Timonium, MD) and Andy Hipple (Moorestown/Moorestown, NJ) also netted two goals each while Bryan Tingle (C.B. West/Jamison, PA) and J.D. Wood (St. Johns/Olney, MD) each contributed a goal and an assist.

Alrich has now scored at least one goal in all five Delaware games this season while Ritz posted his second straight game with four or more points and Tingle also won 17 of 24 faceoffs and had eight groundballs on the day.

Manhattan, which went 11-6 last year when it won the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament, lost its third straight game and fell to 1-4 on the season. Justin Otto led the Jaspers with three goals and an assist while Nick Silva and Eugene Tanner each added two goals and an assist.

Delaware^s 18 goals was the highest game total for the Blue Hens since a 20-7 win over Saint Joseph^s in 2000 while the eight first quarter goals was the team^s highest since scoring 10 in a 25-5 win over Hartford in 1999.

The Hens took control early, outscoring Manhattan 8-0 in the first quarter as Delaware peppered Jasper goalkeeper Matt Altomare (10 saves) with 14 shots on goal. Delaware scored two goals in the first three minutes of action but used a late first quarter flurry to put the game away.

Ritz scored his first goal of the game with 5:37 left in the opening period and followed with another less than two minutes later. The Hens then scored four more times in the final 3:37 of the stanza.

Manhattan scored its first goal of the game when Greg Bartolotta tallied 2:24 into the second quarter and Otto hit the back of the net just 16 seconds later to cut the lead to 8-2. But back came the Blue Hens again with five unanswered goals to go back up 13-2 and eventually take a 13-3 halftime lead. The Hens stayed well ahead in the second half as Alrich and Wiles each scored twice. Delaware led 18-6 before the Jaspers scored twice in the final minutes of action.