Delaware vs. Stony Brook
February 28, 2004
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE - Senior Matt Alrich (Calvert Hall/Timonium, MD) and junior Andy Hipple (Moorestown/Moorestown, NJ) combined for seven goals and four assists as the University of Delaware broke open a close game with six goals in the third quarter on the way to a 11-4 non-league men's lacrosse victory over Stony Brook Saturday afternoon at Rullo Stadium.

Alrich (left in photo) scored four times and dished out two assists and Hipple added three goals and two assists as the Blue Hens improved to 3-0 for the first time since the 1999 NCAA quarterfinal season when Delaware opened with an 8-0 record. The Seawolves (0-1), who were making their season opener, got two goals from Adam Marksberry and a goal and an assist from George LaFare.

Delaware, which outshot Stony Brook 41-26, also got two goals and assist from freshman Cam Howard while Ryan Overs scored once and assisted on another goal. Goalkeeper Chris Collins, last week's Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Week, posted 15 saves. Alrich, who leads Delaware with eight goals this season, has now scored at least one goal in 18 straight games since last season.

The Blue Hens, who downed the Seawolves for the second straight year, jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on goals by Hipple and Ryan Metzbower in the first two minutes and 21 seconds of the contest but Stony Brook came right back to tie things as Marksberry and Adam Zetzer scored goals two minutes apart to knot the score at 2-2 with 7:39 left in the opening stanza.

But Delaware followed with a string of eight streak goals to put the game away. Alrich scored the the final goal of the first quarter to give Delaware a 3-2 lead and Hipple scored the only goal of the second quarter to up the UD margin to 4-2 going into the half.

Delaware put the game away early in the third quarter, scoring four goals in the first five minutes of action with Hipple, Howard, Alrich, and Overs each netting a goal. Howard and Hipple added assists in the pivotal run.

Stony Brook finally got on the board again when LaFlare scored with 6:54 left in the third quarter, ending a drought of over 30 minutes without a goal.

The Blue Hens also held a commanding edge on faceoffs as freshman Alex Smith won 17 of 19 duals on the afternoon.