Delaware vs. Stony Brook
April 2, 2003
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE -- The University of Delaware got two goals each from Matt Alrich, Xander Ritz, and R. C. Reed and goalkeeper Chris Collins came up with 17 saves as the Blue Hens snapped a three-game losing streak with a 12-6 non-league men^s lacrosse victory over Stony Brook Wednesday night at Rullo Stadium.

Alrich, who has now scored a goal in all 10 games this season, upped his team leading total to 23 as the Hens won for the first time since March 12 to improve to 5-5 on the season. Stony Brook, the defending America East champions and a 2002 NCAA Tournament participant, dropped its second straight game to fall to 3-6.

Delaware, which will host Colonial Athletic Association foe Sacred Heart Saturday, has now defeated two 2002 NCAA Tournament teams this season after earlier downing Manhattan back on March 9.

The Hens, who avenged an 11-7 loss at Stony Brook last season, also got two assists from Scott Evans and one goal each from Brad Downer, Ryan Metzbower, Andy Hipple, Bob Meunier, Luke Wiles, and Ryan Overs. Collins, who entered the game with a CAA leading 116 saves, was tough in the nets all night as he held the Seawolves scoreless for the first 14 minutes of the game. The Hens, who scored on three of four extra man opportunities, also held a 15-7 advantage in faceoffs with Bryan Tingle winning all 15.

Adam Marksberry scored three goals to lead Stony Brook while Sean Farrell and Kevin Shea each added one goal and one assist. Goalkeeper Jeffrey Slater posted 14 saves in suffering the loss.

Ritz had a hand in all three Delaware goals in the second period, scoring with 8:59 left in the first half for a 3-1 lead, feeding Overs for a goal with 3:11 left, and scoring an unassisted goal with 1:29 remaining as the Hens broke out to a 5-3 halftime lead.

Mike Kirschner scored for Stony Brook with 12:22 left in the third quarter, but the Hens reeled off four straight goals over a span of 16 minutes to take control of the game. Four different UD players scoring during the streak as the Hens took a 10-4 lead with 8:46 left to play.

Stony Brook mounted a comeback with consecutive goals from Shea and Marksberry to cut the lead to 10-6 with 6:38 left, but the Hens shut down the Seawolves from there and Hipple and Alrich added insurance goals 27 seconds apart in the final minutes to ice the victory.