Delaware vs. Villanova
April 22, 2006
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE -- The University of Delaware brought out the offense on a rainy night at Rullo Stadium Saturday and the result was a 17-12 men’s lacrosse victory that kept the Blue Hens’ Colonial Athletic Association playoff hopes alive.

Delaware (10-4, 2-3 CAA) snapped a two-game losing streak as Cam Howard scored three times and dished out two assists to up his point-scoring streak to 19 straight games and Vincent Giordano (at right) supplied a season-high three goals as the Blue Hens posted the big win. The Hens can clinch a spot in the four-team CAA Tournament with a victory over last place Robert Morris in their final regular season game next Saturday at Rullo Stadium.

Villanova ( 5-8, 3-3 CAA), which had already clinched a berth in the tournament, dropped its fourth straight game despite three goals from Andy German and two each from Eric Heidenberger and Matt Panneton. Chris MacDonald added a goal and an assist but the Hens held Villanova’s top scorer, Matt Starker, to just one assist. He entered the game with a team-high 23 goals.

Delaware, which outshot the Wildcats 39-31, scored at least four goals in each quarter and got goals from 10 different players. Jordan Hall added two goals and two assists, Dan Deckelbaum added two goals and an assist, Jarryd Knouse added a season-high two goals, Beau Davis and Adam Zuder-Haven each contributed a goal and an assist, and Alex Smith scored a goal and won 22 of 33 faceoffs.

Delaware’s 17 goals was its second highest total of the season and most since an 18-11 win over Albany back on March 11.

Delaware downed the Wildcats for the second straight year, breaking a 5-5 tie in the all time series. The Blue Hens remained undefeated at home at 7-0 and won for the 13th time in their last 15 games at Rullo Stadium.

Villanova scored the first two goals of the game but the Hens came back with four straight to head into the second quarter up 4-2. A goal by Zuder-Havens upped the Delaware lead to 5-2, but the Wildcats came back with two quick goals by German to cut the lead 5-4. Although Delaware never led by more than five goals the rest of the way, Villanova never got closer.

Knouse, Deckelbaum, and Hall answered with goals to increase the lead to 8-4 before two Villanova goals in the final 40 seconds of the half, including one by German, narrowed the margin to 8-6 at the half.

Delaware took control in the third quarter by scoring four of the first five goals before Villanova scored three of the final four goals of the stanza, including two by Panneton, to cut the margin to 13-10 heading into the final quarter.

The Wildcats cut the lead to 14-12 on a goal by Chris Mercer with 12:04 left, but Villanova was held scoreless the rest of the way by UD goalkeepers Tommy Scherr (six saves) and Warren Mayberry. Delaware’s Giordano scored twice in a three minute period, including the game’s final goal at the 9:42 mark, to give the Hens some breathing room.