Delaware vs. Villanova
May 3, 2002
The Game Story:
NEWARK, DE -- Sophomores David Cacciabeve and Scott MacMullan each tallied two goals to lead Villanova University to a 7-6 Colonial Athletic Association men^s lacrosse victory over host University of Delaware in the season finale for both teams Friday night at Rullo Stadium.

Delaware capped a disappointing season by dropping their second straight game and ending the season with a record of 3-11, 0-6 CAA. The Hens went winless in league play for the first time in school history.

A bright spot for the Blue Hens was the play of sophomore Scott Evans (St. Peter^s/Peterborough, Ontario) who scored three goals Friday to lead the Blue Hens. Evans, who scored 13 goals over the last four games and tallied at least once in the final seven game of the campaign, ended the season as the team^s leading scorer with 28 points on 21 goals and seven assists.

Villanova, which held Delaware scoreless for a span of 19 minutes to put the game away, won its second straight to finish the season 6-8, 2-4 CAA.

Ryan Metzbower (St. Mary^s/Annapolis, MD), Greg Grevey (Boy^s Latin/Glen Arm, MD), and R.C. Reed (Boy^s Latin/Timonium, MD) also scored goals for the Blue Hens while senior goalkeeper David Mullen (Ridley/Ridley Park, PA) capped an outstanding career with 15 saves. He ended his career ranked second on the all-time UD saves list with 589.

Brian Marks, Marc Creegan, and Mike Holloway also scored goals for the Wildcats, who outshot the Hens 38-26 and held a 15-2 advantage on faceoffs. Freshman goalkeeper Dan Biser recorded seven saves and Owen Corso, the CAA leader in groundballs, scooped up four during the game to go over 100 for the season.

Both teams traded goals throughout the first half before Villanova took a 5-4 lead into intermission when MacMullan scored his second goal of the quarter with just 2:20 left in the first half.

Delaware tied the game for the fifth time when Metzbower scored with 8:40 left in the third quarter, but the Hens would be quiet for the next 19 minutes while Villanova gained the lead. Cacciabeve scored his second goal with 8:02 left in the third quarter for what proved to be the game-winner and Holloway tallied with 2:45 remaining to up the lead to 7-5.

Evans scored the only goal of the fourth quarter with 4:40 remaining, snapping the 19-minute scoring drought, to cut the lead to 7-6. Delaware had two more chances to knot the score but could not convert on a 30-second man-up opportunity in the final minute. Biser stopped a Metzbower ground shot from 15 feet out with just 13 seconds left to preserve the victory for the Wildcats.