Denver vs. Butler
April 18, 2003
The Game Story:
Denver - The University of Denver men's lacrosse team defeated the Butler Bulldogs by a score of 12-8 tonight at Pioneer Field, evening its Great Western Lacrosse League (GWLL) record at 1-1. The win was the Pioneers' third in three attempts, a span where Denver has out-scored the opposition 42-18. Freshman Adam Miller (Columbus, Ohio) led the Crimson and Gold in scoring with three goals and an assist for his first-career hat trick. Overall, the Pioneers dominated the stats, out-shooting Butler 42-25, collecting 10 more groundballs (30-20) while winning 13 of the 23 face-offs (.565). Denver now climbs to 6-4 overall while the Bulldogs fall to 5-6 (1-2 GWLL).

The Pioneers struck first, with Miller notching his seventh goal of the season at 12:57. Junior Andrew Huelskoetter (St. Louis, Mo.) brought the lead to two 3:49 later when he spun off a defender and fired in a shot just inside the left post. BU picked up the pace in the last eight minutes with two goals, split by Miller's second tally of the night at 4:19.

The second quarter began much like the first, with Denver scoring the first two goals. Miller netted his hat trick goal off a failed Bulter clear at 13:35 to kick things off. Less then two minutes later freshman Geoff Snider (Calgary, Alberta) scored his tenth goal of the year from a long-distance pass from junior Jeff Biggs (St. Louis, Mo.). The tide shifted to the Bulldogs shortly after though, with Butler scoring three goals in a span of 2:45 to tie the game with 7:12 remaining in the half. Freshman Adam Swain (West Simsbury, Conn.) wouldn't let the deadlock stand though and he took advantage of a man-up opportunity with five seconds left to bring the score to 6-5.

Momentum stayed with the home team in the third and the Pioneers took control of the game with the only three goals of the quarter. Huelskoetter and sophomore Darren Sasaki-Scanlon (Norwalk, Conn.) scored first with goals at 13:50 and 12:29, respectively. Sophomore Matt Brown (Burnaby, B.C.) capped off the outing with his first goal of the game when he threaded the needle from an impossible angle with 10 seconds left.

Denver head coach Jamie Munro gave the word to wrap things up in the fourth and Swain oblidged with his second goal of the night at 12:56. Snider followed suit 30 seconds later to give the Pioneers their biggest lead of the night (six goals). The Bulldogs tried a late rally and scored the next two goals at 11:18 and 8:42 to pull within four, but the margin never got closer. The teams closed out the final three minutes with a goal each. Sophomore Erik Swanson (Glenview, Ill.) scored the final Denver tally at 3:16.

The team will play again this Sunday (April 20) at 12:00 p.m. when the No. 14 Ohio State Buckeyes come to Denver for another conference game. The Buckeyes are 3-0 in the GWLL and coming off a 7-2 victory over Air Force tonight.