Fairfield vs. Georgetown
April 8, 2006
The Game Story:
Fairfield, Conn. - The Fairfield University men's lacrosse team dropped a 10-5 decision to third-ranked Georgetown University in an ECAC Lacrosse League game played on Alumni Field. The Stags fall to 4-5 on the year and 2-2 in conference action, while the Hoyas, winners of eight straight, are 8-1 and 3-0 in league play.

Fairfield struck first with an unassisted goal from Mike Bocklet at the 5:33 mark of the first quarter. It was the only goal of the first period, which was played in a driving rain. With the rain continuing in the second quarter, the Hoyas took control of the game with four consecutive goals. Brendan Cannon played a role in three of the tallies, scoring at 12:49 and assisting on goals by Andrew Baird (8:20) and Trevor Casey (2:58). Mike White scored the other goal in the quarter, picking up a ground ball off of a won face-off and streaking to the cage for the goal at 8:05. The Stags looked to get the momentum back as Josh Thornton scored with 48 seconds left in the first half, and making the deficit 4-2 at the intermission.

Sean Denihan started the second half scoring for the Hoyas, touching net from a Save Paolisso pass at 12:47. Stags defender Matt Bocklet answered 14 seconds later, scoring off of a Charlie Kienath pass, to make it 6-3, but the Stags would get n o closer. Cannon scored his third goal at 11:23 and then Casey netted back-to-back tallies at 8:40 and 5:33 to give the Hoyas an 8-3 lead, which would hold until the end of the third quarter.

Chris Manley scored at 12:42 of the fourth quarter to make it 8-4, but Mike White (7:42) and Garrett Wilson (3:22) scored for the Hoyas to make it 10-4. Brian Stanton netted a Thornton pass with 49 seconds left to wrap up the scoring.

Fairfield goalkeeper Mike Kruger was stellar in net with 16 saves to his credit. He recorded six saves both the first and second quarters, before notching a pair in each of the third and fourth quarters. He also recorded a ground ball. Georgetown goalkeeper Rich D'Andrea made only two saves in the game, facing only seven shots on goal.

The Hoyas out shot Fairfield 48-23 for the game, as well as picking up more ground balls, 40-26. Georgetown also dominated the face-offs, winning 15-18 contested.

The Stags held the Hoyas to 1-5 in man-up situations, and converted on 1-3 themselves.

Thornton was the Stags offensive leader with a goal and an assist. Five different players scored in the game for Fairfield.

Georgetown received a game-high five points from Brendan Cannon, on two goals and three assists. Casey had three goals, while White contributed a pair of goals.

Fairfield is back in action on Saturday, April 15, when it travels to take on North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C. That game is set for noon.