Fairfield vs. Hobart
March 27, 2010
The Game Story:
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—The Hobart College lacrosse team fell to Fairfield 14-5 this afternoon in an ECAC Lacrosse League game on Alumni Field. The Statesmen slip to 2-5 overall and 0-2 in the conference, while the Stags improve to 5-2 on the season and 2-0 in the league.

Fairfield struck first with six minutes, 16 seconds to play in the first quarter, as Nick Baglio tallied on a shot over Hobart senior goalie Max Silberlicht’s (New Hartford/New Hartford, N.Y.) shoulder. Thirty-seven seconds later, the Stags took a 2-0 lead after a similar shot from Max Trunz.

The Stags exploded for six unanswered goals in the second quarter to seize an 8-0 halftime advantage. Trunz started the run with an extra man goal, bouncing in a shot from the right side with 10:38 to play. The next five Fairfield tallies were scored in a span of 2:37, thanks to Brent Adams, Doug Kuring, Marshall Johnson, and Matt Plominski.

Fairfield opened the third quarter with a goal from Sam Snow, before senior Mike Lazore (Immaculate Heart/Carthage, N.Y.) put Hobart’s first point on the board with 10 minutes to play, assisted by sophomore Chris Pedersen (Ridgewood/Nyack, N.Y.). The Stags answered with consecutive goals from John Snellman and Ryan Mulford to push their lead to 11-1. Snellman finished with a game-high three goals.

Statesmen senior Kevin Curtin (Corcoran/Syracuse, N.Y.) netted his ninth goal of the season with just over seven minutes remaining in the period, assisted by first-year Tyler Simmons (Redwood/Belvedere, Calif.). Pedersen scored another Statesmen goal with 4:19 on the clock to cut the Stags’ lead to eight, 11-3, off a helper from sophomore Sam Miller (Yarmouth/Yarmouth, Maine), but Hobart would not get closer.

The teams traded goals in the fourth quarter, each scoring two. Curtin tallied his second goal of the day for Hobart, while sophomore Tim Regan (Holderness School/Boston, Mass.) put his first goal of the year in the back of the net off an assist from first-year Jesse Mancuso (Northport/Northport, N.Y.).

The Stags outshot the Statesmen 45-21, and held a 42-26 advantage in ground balls. Fairfield dominated at the faceoff X as well, winning 15 of 22.

Silberlicht finished with nine saves, while junior Evan Kirk (Salisbury School/Orangeville, Ontario) and first-year Jon Lawless (St. Francis/East Aurora, N.Y.) collected seven and three saves, respectively, in relief. Joseph Marra stopped seven shots for Fairfield.

The Statesmen will be back in action on April 3, when they travel to Denver for another ECAC Lacrosse game at 1 p.m. (MST).