Fairfield vs. Holy Cross
February 26, 2005
The Game Story:
FAIRFIELD Conn. - The Fairfield University men's lacrosse team went on a 9-0 scoring run en-route to a 12-4 victory over Holy Cross on Saturday afternoon. The win was the sixth-straight over the Crusaders and the fourth-straight season-opening victory for the Stags.

Fairfield was lead by sophomore Michael Bocklet (Katonah, N.Y.) who registered three goals on the day, all of which came during the early 9-0 run. Senior Tom Werney (Granite Springs, N.Y.) tallied two goals, including the game-winner, which came with 8:36 remaining in the second quarter, and the final goal of the game, giving the Stags the 12-4 victory with 2:49 remaining to play.

The Stags began the scoring with 9:54 remaining in the first quarter as junior Josh Thornton (St. Charles, Mo.) took a pass for freshman Brendan Finnerty (Merrick, N.Y.) and scored on a behind the back shot. Just over four minutes later, sophomore Charles Keinath (Melville, N.Y.) rocketed a shot from 20-yards out to make it 2-0.

Mike Bocklet ended the first quarter and began the second with back-to-back goals to put the Stags up 4-0 and Werney scored what would prove to be the game-winner with 8:36 remaining in the quarter. The Stags would score again just nine seconds later as Keinath won the ensuing face-off, drove the length of the field and dumped the ball off to freshman Matt Castele (Medina, Ohio) who ran the score to 6-0. Fairfield took a 7-0 lead into the intermission after redshirt-sophomore Chris Manley (Keuka Park, N.Y.) beat two defenders and scored on a diving goal.

Fairfield scored two goals to begin the third quarter, with the first coming from the Bocklet brothers. Freshman Matt Bocklet (Katonah, N.Y.) sent a pass 30-yards up field, hitting Mike Bocklet in stride, who converted to give the Stags the 8-0 lead. Less than one minute later, freshman Dan Boudreau (Canton, Mass.) fought through the Crusader defense to score an unassisted goal at the 9:06 mark.

The Stags scoring run came to an end as John O'Sullivan scored off a pass form Toby Banta with 5:25 remaining in the quarter but Fairfield responded with a goal just 26 seconds later from freshman Matt Scanlon (Bel Air, Md.).

Holy Cross scored three unanswered goals in less than three minutes as Billy Klotz scored back-to-back goals and Paul LeBlanc added one to make the score 10-4 with 2:09 remaining in the third period. The score remained deadlocked at 10-4 for nearly 14 minutes before the Stags closed out the game with goals from freshman Travis Nelson (Oswego, N.Y.) and Werney.

For the game, Fairfield went 18-for-19 in face offs, outshot Holy Cross 47-19 and doubled-up the Crusaders in groundballs, holding the 50-23 advantage.

In addition to his goal and two assists Keinath dominated on face-offs, winning 16-of-17 attempts while sophomore Brian Gorman (Lutherville, Md.) won both of his face-off attempts.

Between the pipes, sophomore Michael Kruger (Ellicot City, Md.) stopped 11 shots in the win while Matt Fallon made 14 saves for Holy Cross.

The Stags return to action on Wed., March 2 as they host St. John's on Alumni Field at 1 p.m.